Chapter 7- Sword Totem

Chapter 7 – Sword Totem

...

Will was in the zone! He finally felt like he somewhat understood the essence of those words! It was only when he was about to die, that the idea hit him. Death was the end of a life! A previously obvious assertion that now bore so much weight.

Or one could say the absence of life. Just like how darkness is the absence of light, or cold is the absence of heat. To understand death, one needs to start by understanding life.

In everyday life, the cycle is constantly around us. When we accidentally kill an insect, or when we pluck a flower or even killing rodents in your own homes. Every human usually ignores such acts, yet they are in fact killing.

Every human is a killer. When you engage in any one of these things you feel no revulsion, nor do you feel any guilt. In fact, it even feels natural.

So why is killing other humans is treated differently? Because we make it relevant, we say we are justified in killing other creatures, because they are not sentient, but doesn't that mean other beings on a higher level of existence, have a right to kill us? Of course not!

There is no such thing as rights. Only privileges and these belong to the strong!

Once Will started processing these thoughts, the killing intent that Modus had been weighing down on his body, suddenly rushed through Will's body like it was filling up every nook and cranny of his being. Even his soul was affected. The natural resistance Will had against killing was gone. He had accepted it. It was now a part of him. He no longer saw killing as an atrocious act, to him it was now like anything else he saw, a part of nature.

Its relevance only depended on the individual whether or not you could control your own fate, depended on power.

There is no right or wrong, just like how there is no up or down. It all depends on your position.

If Modus wants to kill me, then I will kill him!

Will started searching deep down within himself. Now he knew that death was not such a bad thing, now that he had accepted it, it had become a part of him. So he could now bring it out!

Killing intent started oozing out of Will's body; it rushed out like a rocket. The fervor, in which it came out, was no different from that which was shown by a pack of starving wolves, running towards a bloody carcass.

Modus was overwhelmed. He had suppressed his own cultivation, and bathed Will in a little bit of killing intent.

He expected this trial by fire to wake up the boy's hidden potential. Although the boy had sword enlightenment, it was only a small understanding. One cannot smell meat and claim that they have eaten it. True enlightenment must be gained by yourself.

He never really intended to kill the boy. Only frighten him, he had hoped that the boy would at least reduce the pressure of his killing intent and dodge. Never would he have expected that the boy would attempt fight back.

Truly amusing, as expected from the boy I chose!

Then the unexpected occurred. Modus was just about to stop his downward swing and release his killing intent, when he jumped back and landed on the ground on one knee.

*crack*

A crack suddenly ran down the length of his mask. Modus looked at Will as if he was a monster!

Will not only cancelled out Modus' killing intent. He was even able to temporarily suppress Modus with his own. He used that split chance to swing his sword upwards.