Chapter 3

Ramsey glanced at him from the corner of her eye. " you're alone?" He glanced at her, and gave a crooked grin "yea, Skykru lit out, and I wasn't welcome in Lundkru, I was a mid rank warrior.. What about you Ray?" She glared at him "First it's Ramsey not Ray, second, I was deputy to BridgeKru's Header Forest, second only to he himself." She shifted her shirt to show him the arch just below the crook of her neck " I had 10 patrols go into the Corner War, one lead by Meric, my 2nd, one by... My boyfriend, and the other by my best friend.. I'm the only one besides Forest who lived.." She looked away. Rydian glanced at her " may I ask how you got away?" She looked away " because, I helped the street rats.." She swallowed, about time someone knew I guess, if he kills me so what. Rydian looked at her, "Ray? You did?" She looked at her shoes and traced her fingers over the faded JAY of the first part of Jayreds name.. " the leader of the rats came to me, the night of my Deputizing Conclave, he said he could get me and my friends out of the War if I helped him stage an ambush on Lundkru.. He tricked me, the day the 13th Sedge started, I was heading one patrol, Meric was on the right alley, Lena.. She was just off my flank, and she turned around to ask me a question.. That's when he hit her, Daylan , the Rats deputy.. She never even felt that arrow.. Clean through her head.. About that same time I heard Meric scream my name.. She took a longblade to the ribs. The Rats had tricked me, and now they had me pinned in the middle of the Sedge.. My patrols getting slaughtered around me... I got away, but Daylan had caught.. He had caught Jayred.. They locked us in the stadium down the corner.." She gave a twisted, bittersweet smile, " the same place me and him had our first date.., the same place he kissed me for the first time.. And because he was head of defense, they tortured him, cut off parts, made me watch.. Made him make these horrible animalistic screams.. They cut off skin, the last day I got lose from my cuffs, and killed the guards with my switchblade.. Jay died in my arms.. Hating me because he knew what I had done.. But the last thing he said was, I know why you did it now.. And I understand," she wiped her eyes on her hoodie, " I couldn't leave with the Rats, they thought I was dead, Lundkru and Skykru would execute me.. I had no one left, so I moved into Jays house.. Stayed in his bed.. Slept in his clothes.. Then I moved down the street.. And I burned his house down, pictures of us included. Everything, gone." Rydian just looked at her " well.. It's not like your dead, you've just gotta keep living, or trying to anyway. " he put his hand under her chin, shaking his head, "I stayed behind.. I got tired of fighting for everything. There was nothing for me to go to anyway." He glanced down the alley "come on, there's a wear house down here I've been staying in, get out of this rain.."