MAJOR in RELIC MAGIC

While other forms of magic require years of intense training, to avail of relic magic one need only be in possession of an active anting-anting. Most often visualized as medallions with religious/mystical iconography, most anting-antings are a part of a complex belief system which must be understood if the full potential of the anting-anting is to be realized. Students will be given a grounding in the mythology of the anting-anting, as well as in the language of the oracion, before being instructed as to the manner by which individual anting-antings may be empowered and maintained. Advanced courses will breakdown the multifarious types of anting-anting (at least those common in the Tagalog parts of Luzon), based on the Pambid Categories.

Primary textbook:"Anting-anting: O Kung Bakit Nagtatago sa Loob ng Bato si Bathala", by Nenita D. Pambid; University of the Philippines Press, 2000.

Secondary textbook:"Pasyon and Revolution: Popular Movements in the Philippines, 1840-1910", by Reyndaldo Clemeña Ileto; Ateneo de Manila University Press, 1979.

RLC 101 Anting-Antings Throughout History

Of all forms of magic, it is the anting-anting that has made the most visible mark on our history. We will tackle fictional characters such as Jaime del Prado, but focus on the useage of anting-antings by historical figures--such as Emilio Aguinaldo, Antonio Luna, and Ferdinand Marcos--as well as groups such the Santa Iglesia, and the ill-fated Lapiang Malaya, who were massacred in 1967 in spite of their anting-antings. Before we begin the actual study of anting-antings, we must re-examine the successes -- and the spectacular failures -- of those who claim to wield them.

RLC 102 The Retablo of Faith

The power of anting-antings is based on faith, and that faith is intertwined with the understanding of an intricate and sometimes counterintuitive hierarchy of divinities. At the pinnacle is the Atardar, Bathala of the Tagalogs, the Infinite God, who created twenty four spirits, which include the Trinitarian God worshipped in Catholic doctrine, Uph Madac (who holds the light of the Sun), Abo Natac (who holds the light of the moon), seven archangels, and Becca (known as Lucifer by Catholics.). But the Atardar also manifests as the Santisima Trinidad--Father God, Mother God and Child God--the aspects which are most commonly seen in anting-antings.

This organization of divinities is sometimes referred to as the Retablo of Faith (based on two images that illustrate the hierarchy), and this course provides an overview to understanding the relation of the divinites to each other.

RLC 103 Anting-anting Mythology and Iconography

The particular powers of many modern (talisman-type) anting-antings are based on the words and symbols drawn upon the material of the relic. These symbols are plentiful and diverse: the winged eye, to symbolize the Atardar; The letters "AEIOU" to represent the secret names of Atardar; the whale-like dragon that is a symbol of evil. To decipher these icons, students will be taught the meaning of individual symbols, as well as the myths and stories that tie them together.

RLC 201 Material Forms of Anting-anting

Anting-anting can come in many forms (even, in one famous case, two human twins), but in the main they can be divided into two broad categories: those that primarily made of raw natural materials (stones, parts of animals), and those that use man-made or processed materials (paper, cloth). The former are called amulets and the latter are called talismans, and for the most part, they follow distinct rules. Amulets are best worn against bare skin, and are frequently used for protective magic. Talismans are usually kept out of sight, and may be used to create luck or positive characteristics. A talisman is also more powerful if it is crafted by the bearer him/herself. This course further distinguishes the two types.