fifty two || elver

“I used to play that all the time with Minnie. She loved it and so did I, but then she grew up and was more interested in make-up and girly trips out.” Alaska smiled sadly.

“Sorry.”

“No no, it’s fine. Let’s begin.” Elver unfolded the large square board and shuffled the cards; he picked the three answers and offered the characters to Alaska. Without hesitation, she pulled out Colonel Mustard from the selection.

“Hey, I’m always him. Shouldn’t you be Miss Scarlet?” Elver protested.

“No way, she’s a little . . .” Alaska answered, raising one eyebrow at the revealing dress Miss Scarlet wore.

“Fine, I’ll be her then, with my long red dress.” Elver picked up the dice and shook it around in his hand. He dropped it onto the board. Six. He moved Miss Scarlet straight into an available room.

“What? You can’t do that. Both players have to have had a go before you move to a room. At least, that’s how I’ve always played it.”

Elver furrowed his brow. “We’ll, it’s my rules today.”  Alaska scowled but nodded and put her hands up in defence.

“Fine. Your rules.” Elver was just about to make an accusation when his phone rang.

“Hello? Oh, hi Mum … What the … ? Well, if she looks after it then yeah, I guess. Ok, bye Mum.”

Alaska eyes were wide, gagging to know what had just happened. “What was that?” she asked.

“Mum and dad want to get Cathy a dog for her birthday.”

“Wow. Where will you get it from.” Elver shuddered.

“Rodger and Laura from down the road. The same people that got my car. Their dog just had puppies.”

“Ooh, what breed?”

“I’m not sure. I know Cathy will be ecstatic though. She’s always wanted a dog.”

“It’s a big responsibility.”

“Yeah, and I doubt she’ll take it on.”

“Oh.”

“Anyway, back to the game. I think Miss Scarlett did it in the dining room with the rope.”

Alaska glanced at her sheet then rifled through her cards. She frowned. “Er, no,” she said finally. Elver laughed.

“Yeah, right. Come on, don’t go telling porkies,” he said, waggling his finger. Alaska shook her head.

“No, honestly, look through my cards if you have to.” Elver paused, the shock registering on his face. “I’ve won.”

“Hey, you don’t know that. We have to check the answer,” she said in defence. Elver shrugged and handed her the aging yellow packet with the answers.

“Go ahead. I think it was Miss Scarlet in the dining room with the rope.”

Alaska was sure he was right but she wanted to be positive. She tipped over the packet and the three cards fell face up onto the board. Elver was right. She scowled again. “How did you get it?”

Elver raised and lowered one shoulder.

“Luck. I was being lazy, giving you a chance.” He chuckled. “I guess it backfired a bit.”

“Not fair. Let’s play again.”

“Ok. If you set up,” Elver said. Alaska sighed but nodded. She swiped everything off the board and started shuffling.

“So what’s the deal with Minnie?” Elver asked, breaking the silence. Alaska tensed up.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, when I talked to her with your mum, she was kind of sweet but you don’t speak very highly of her,” Elver pressed, unaware of Alaska’s discomfort.

“She’s a little cow. She’s thirteen, Elver. She acts like a twenty year old. All she cares about is showing off to her annoying little friends and sucking up to Mum and Dad,” Alaska said with venom.

“I’m sure it’s just a phase. It’ll pass.”

Alaska snorted. “She’s been like this for three years. When she started year six she acted like a cocky arse. We all thought it would go once she was bottom of the pile in year seven. We were wrong. Anyway, it doesn’t matter now. We’ve learnt how to deal with her. Here.” She handed Elver his cards and he picked up that she was unhappy, or at least spiteful. He didn’t push the matter anymore and Alaska didn’t seem to want to play. She shook the dice half-heartedly and her voice was almost a whisper. Elver cursed himself for asking. It had just been for something to say, but he’d obviously hit a nerve.

“Look, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you or anything,” Elver said, resting his hand on hers.

“Not at all, it’s just, well, it’s just not fair. She has everything,” Alaska blurted.  Elver was a bit lost, searching her face for clues.

“You probably won’t understand. Yours and Cathy’s relationship is perfect,” Alaska said. She hadn’t meant to sound so snappy. She shook her head and covered her face. “Oh God. I’m really sorry Elver. I’ve just listened to myself. I’m a right cow, just as bad as her.” She sighed and rubbed her forehead. “You know, I feel like tucking up and watching a film. Can we pack this away?”

“I suppose. What film?”

“I don’t know, something easy?”

“Um, I don’t think there are any films here, actually,” Elver said, a pathetic excuse not to watch something though it was true. He hadn’t thought to bring any sort of entertainment and his aunt, with no children, had no DVDs of the sort. Cold and feeling a bit nesh, he wasn’t really in the mood for tucking up any more but rather thought he should be out running or something. An idea popped into his mind.

“Do you want to come and play ping pong. Honestly, it’s so much fun,” he offered.

“Um, ok.” Alaska said, hesitantly. “Let me get something warmer on.” She scurried upstairs and emerged back down with a gorgeous woolly red scarf.

“What made you bring that?” Elver asked.

“Just in case. Like mum always tells me,” she said in a way that made Elver think her mother told her too much. “Will you be ok without a scarf or gloves or something? You’re not even going to put a jumper on?” she asked.  Elver nodded and lifted his shoulders.

“Yeah, I’m a man. I’ve got tough skin.” Doing his best impression of boxing, he accidentally punched the solid arm of the sofa. His hand recoiled back to his side in lightning speed. Alaska giggled .

“Are you ok?” she asked, patting his shoulder. Elver waved it off like it was nothing.

“Sure, yeah. Absolutely fine,” he said, though Alaska picked up on his wince. The pain in his arm was growing to a uncomfortable throb.

“Elver, are you sure?” Alaska looked worried now. Elver scrunched up his face, holding out his hand in front of his face to examine it. He cradled it against his chest.

“I think I’ve sprained my wrist.”