Stolen Secrets- Chapter 9

~Jeff~

I took a deep breath before walking in to English class. I was actually early today.

I opened the door and there were a couple of other people sitting around and talking. These were the people with friends in the class so they only came early to talk.

I sat in my desk and waited for Natalie. I sat facing the door so I could see everyone as they came in. Every time I walked in, I would jump in anticipation. But it was never Natalie.

Eventually Mr. Anderson came in and started the lesson. He shut the door behind him so it would be clear when someone came in later than him.

I kept psyching myself out by thinking the door was opening. But it never did.

Somehow I managed to get through the whole class without breaking down because the next thing I knew Mr. Anderson was dismissing us. I made my way out into the hall only to stumble around and be pushed on either side as I got in other people’s way.

I got to my second class, French and sat stock still and stared forwards at the white board.

“Please excuse this interruption, but could we please have all grade eleven classes report to the main gym immediately,” a voice boomed from the PA system.

My teacher shrugged and we all crowded around the door until she let us go. In small groups we went down the halls until we got the main gym. A vice principal ushered us in with a hint of urgency in her voice. I didn’t think anything of it because teachers were always freaking out about the smallest things.

About ten minutes later, once we had pulled out the bleachers and were seated on them with some organization, our principal went and stood in the middle of the gym and started to talk.

“Something tragic has happened over the weekend,” our principal said skipping right to the point.

Oh god, please no. Don’t say what I think you’re going to, please don’t, I mentally begged.

“Our newest student, Natalie Taress, has gone missing,” Mr. Gregson, our principal, continued.

That was exactly what I didn’t want you to say. My own imagination was bad enough, but hearing the words from Mr. Gregson’s mouth just confirmed them, made them all the more real.

“Her father has requested that all people who might have talked to her Friday, or since then,” he added hopefully, “come forwards now so that he can ask them about her.

“We are not trying to blame anyone for her disappearance, we just are trying to find out what happened. If you even talked to her during class, or remember seeing her in the halls, please come forwards, we need as many different people as possible to try and put together the pieces.

“And on the rarity that one of you were involved, let me just say that this is a sick and cruel joke. Her father is going out of his mind looking for her and has received terrible messages in returns. This is not funny. Someone has gone missing for no good reason.”

Then Mr. Gregson smiled at us. “Anyone who saw or talked to Natalie, please come forwards. All others, please go back to your class.” 

There was mumbling as people looked around and tried to figure out why such a short assembly had been called. But I guess they were happy that it had gotten them out of class for like a half hour.

I also why Mr. Gregson had called the assembly. If he simply said over the PA system that he wanted people who had talked to or seen Natalie on Friday, they never would. But since now he was offering a get out of class free card, everyone who had talked to Natalie would talk to Mr. Gregson immediately.