Don't look inside the closet

Whoever said that mothers know best obviously hasn't met hers. Dallas bawled her eyes out, absentmindedly pawing the locked door. Make friends, her mother said. Bond with those youngsters, she crooned. Well, her mother completely forgot to mention that those "youngsters" have obviously been hiding jutted devil horns underneath those iron-straightened hairs.

The memory was still as fresh as the wound she got from being tossed inside the tenebrous closet. She told her mom she never wanted to move into the middle of nowhere, but her mom insisted on fresh air. The only smell wafting in the air was the scent of her fear and something rotten (holy figs, let it not be a corpse).

"It's a girl!"

Dallas twisted the bracelet her mother gave her and bear-hugged her knees. She could already imagine a haunted doll slowly creeping its way towards her feet. What shocked her was that it wasn't. A head popped out of the darkness and smiled at her.

"You called for us?" The girl shook her pink mane and stared at her wondrously with glowing feline eyes.

"Who are you? Why are you here? What do you want? Please don't kill me," Myth cowered, raising her arms to protect herself.

"Oi, she's a lily-livered one," another one spoke. "Are you sure she's our client?"

The pink-haired girl licked the floor. "Well, it's 'er blood."

Dallas felt sick; after being teased and jostled by bratty townies, she was now stuck in a closet filled with cannibals. Surely, this day couldn't get any...

The boy, whom she hadn't noticed until then, hoisted her up. "Let's get a-goin.' Don't wanna miss the magic carpet now, do we?"

She freed herself from their grasps. "I am not going anywhere with you. My mom needs me and—"

"Drink!" the boy said, shoving a bottle in her hands. Dallas suddenly felt compelled to drink from the flask. She took a small sip and then spat it out. "I need to get out of this closet! I'm not supposed to talk to you, strangers..."

"So why are you?" the boy asked, the girl paling beside him. They both had frightening eyes, obscurely shaped with odd colors. Dallas sank back against the door or what she thought was the door; the twenty-foot wall wasn't there before.

"I don't know. I can't recall," she stammered.

"Finally," the boy sighed. The girl nudged him by the elbow and extended a hand. "I'm Lil' Red, please do ignore the color scheme—" She motioned at her very magenta get-up. "—and this ball of anger is Diarmuid."

Diarmuid took out a brochure and stated out loud, "Welcome, Earthling, to the wondrrrous, magical place of Allegraye. For the small price of none, we offer touring services, free meals, and a piggyback ride. Warning, if you are deeply attached to your limbs, you may as well disregard the ride."

"That's so..." Dallas racked her brain for an appropriate word. "...economical."

"We do what we can," he muttered, bored to a tee. "So grab my arm and let's head on out."

"She'll go with me," Lil' Red chirped. "I doubt she'll enjoy your company."

Dallas was glad to go with Lil' Red. They joined arms and started walking. Suddenly, she felt Lil' Red tense. From the corner of Dallas's eye, she could see her pink hair turning brown. Lil' Red suddenly held her arm down and grumbled rather painfully, "Whatever...y-you do, never loose...thread...b-bracelet..."