Chapter Five

I was not able to pay much attention to my surroundings at all because we were moving so fast. It was so dark, though, I'm sure I wouldn't have even seen things if we were crawling. These guys were creepy.

They were already creepy because of the whole cult thing, but they moved fast and seemed like they could see exactly where they were going- even in the pitch-black. Then there was also the fact the guy named Jonah heard something I had said when he was nowhere near us.

I guess there were perfectly reasonable explanations for those things though. Maybe my words had echoed and I didn't realize it. Maybe their eyes just adjusted well in the dark. Maybe they were not going as fast as I realized and it just seemed that way. Still, it did not feel this simple to me.

Suddenly we began to slow down and I saw a lantern lit, the flickering of the flame growing in the dark. Who still uses a lantern? I thought to myself.

I heard the horse neighs right before I saw the cart, which looked like one of the old buggies on the Western channel. With a start, I realized these men also traveled like this. Not with cars, but with carts. I turned to ask why we were taking this and not a car when I realized there were considerably fewer men than before.

A thought occurred to me that maybe this was my chance to run. But then common sense kicked in. Even if I could escape, it still was likely they would find me right away.

The man who fought and bought me, Jonah, faced me just then. I had not even realized we were still holding hands and was glad it was still pretty dark because I blushed. The last thing I needed was for my captor to see my blush and think I would lay down and accept whatever he planned to do to me.

Jonah spoke in an attractive gruff voice, "We will travel in the buggy home. My men will travel with us but not in the buggy with us. You may not see them- but they are there. Do not worry, we will protect you. You will be safe on our travels home."

My eyes widened and I scoffed. I wanted to scream the thoughts rushing in my mind. "Will I be safe? With the insane men who bought me like I was a calf for sale?! The only people who would harm me are you!" I kept my mouth shut, though. The last thing I needed was to make him angry.

Jonah helped me up into the buggy and came in after me. The lantern was brought inside with us and the door was shut behind him. He then turned and faced me while we sat side by side on the narrow bench.

My eyes widened and I blurted out before I could stop myself,"We are going to ride alone? What about everyone else? I didn't see any other...buggy's out there."

Jonah watched me in a way that made me think of a cheetah before it catches its prey. Then a smile slowly began to spread across his face- which should have disturbed me but instead made my breath catch in my throat and my heart stutter.

His voice almost held a hint of amusement, but also was gentle, when he said, "Clearly there is no room for any others in here. Other than the two men up front driving the buggy, my men all are fine with walking. Besides, you are mine and I want to protect you and make you feel comfortable."

He set the lantern on a rack between us and looked at me again. I was not sure if it was the light from the lantern but he looked even more handsome now than earlier- and he had this look in his eyes that I would have mistaken for love if it made any sense.

He took both of my hands in his and a slight frown came upon his face, "You are freezing. Here, let me help."

He pulled me into his arms before a protest could come out of my open mouth, but I did not stop him. I was freezing and he was very warm. Besides, he also felt nice. I grew slightly irritated with myself at thinking that way about someone who had basically kidnapped me, but I couldn't help it.