Chapter 17: Coercion

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author Says: This chapter might confuse you, but I did my best. I hope it's still good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER 17: Coercion

“Ahoy Friz!” Luis called me when I was about to enter the bar. I raised my hand as hello. I guessed this was a good time to forget about Snow’s second letter. I wouldn’t want them to notice that I had a big problem.

I noticed almost all the men in the village are here. They fully occupied the long, curved bar counter while the others were having their own sessions in the corner tables. I asked loudly to get all their attention. “Hey you, seniors! Why do you always leave your wives and children alone in your homes?” I walked then joined them. Rick switched to the very end barstool for me to seat in the middle.

Everybody looked at me and laughed.

I was glancing randomly at whoever spoke. Arthur winked, “I have no wife Friz!”

“Me neither, I’m too old for that.” Saibara tapped the counter and drank the wine in his glass.

“These two single ladies are unlucky. My wife didn’t mind of spending here every night at all,” Joe said, while letting Luis pour more wine to his glass.

Nolso drank in his bottle, slightly choked. “I’m used to pinches punches that my wife gives me when I walk home drunk,” he said.

Arthur jabbered, “Pinchy punchy what?”

Everybody laughed, some were making noise, tapping, pounding and stomping.

Matt boasted, “Tell that to my wifey, because all she does is to romance me when I’m drunk!”

“Yeah, put your puny shotgun in—“  

Arthur countered but Saibara palmed his face that stopped him from talking.

Matt kiddingly reminded, “Hey, guess who’s doing it with his hammer?” Everybody laughed.

I shook my head laughing with them, too. They were being a jerk to each other sometimes but they know that everything was just for laughs.

“Hey!” Rupert shouted. “Don’t forget about our youngest brother here, Benji!” shoving his arms on Benji’s shoulder and tossed a drink with him. “You’re not going to be a single lady, are you?” Rupert chuckled, grasping his shoulder considerably tight.

“Shut up, Rupert.” Benji removed himself from Rupert’s grip.

I watched them laughed though I felt sorry for Benji, but I knew he’s used to it.

Noticed Luis cleared throat. “Why don’t you ask Friz about it, Benj? These oldies would never give a sense of advice.” He was looking at Benji, freshening up his own drink.

I was watching Benji and he scratched his head. He moved to a vacant table while the rest continued their laughs and drinking session.

“Here, Friz! Grab a drink.” Matt passed me a bottle of wine then I left them, too.

I walked and sat across from Benji. I looked at him waiting for him to say something.

“My auntie just received a letter from Kieran, earlier,” he said tapping his glass on the table.

“Tell me about it,” I said, leaning my forearms on the table, holding the bottle of wine.

“She told me that her brother from the city was looking for me. He heard that I was good at baking pastries,” he said then drank the last drops of his wine.