Bruises

Demi

I woke up the next morning on my stomach, Nicko sleeping in a similar position next to me with one arm slung carelessly across my back. I went to sit up, then groaned at the sudden soreness and the overall sensation that my body had turned into jelly.

"Are you okay?"

I looked down at Nicko, his eyes squinty as he looked up at me, "I'm fine."

He eyes trailed down my body and his jaw locked, "Okay."

I looked down too and sucked in a breath at the sight of the hickeys in a line down my neck, "Oh shit." I laughed, and stretched out again, stifling another groan as my joint cracked, "I'm just a little sore."

Nicko rolled out of bed and pulled on his boxers. When he turned around I gasped and laughed loudly, "Babe, your back."

He looked over his shoulder and ran a hand over the deep scratches my nails had obviously made, "I barely feel it."

I furrowed my brow as he went to walk out of the room, "Hey, come here."

Nicko sighed and walked over to my side of the bed, "Yes?"

I beckoned him closer with one finger, "Are we okay?"

He lifted one hand and stroked my cheek like it was made of glass, "Yes. I think a fresh start is in order."

I leaned closer but he quickly pecked my lips and straightened up again, "Mia will be awake soon."

I sighed and got up, groaning to myself as I stood and walked into the bathroom. I gasped at my reflection in the mirror. Bruises laced my hips and inner thighs, ones that would match exactly to Nicko's hands and fingertips. I turned around and examined the ones on my back and ass. I didn't remember Nicko hurting me last night. Last night was anything but painful.

I sighed and dressed as best as I could, thanking the heavens his mom was staying in an assisted living home for the time being in the city until she could move here. I walked down to the kitchen, where I could hear Nicko beginning to cook breakfast. Mia was in her highchair, and she squealed when she saw me, throwing a toy in my direction.

"MAMA!"

I smiled and went over, kissing her forehead, "Hey baby girl! Good morning princess!"

Nicko turned around, "How many eggs do you want?"

I bit my lip, "Two."

He nodded and turned back around not saying anything else. I sighed and gave Mia another toy, then walked over, wrapping my arms around his waist from behind.

"I love you."

He was tense, "I love you too."

I lifted his tank top up, and gently traced the patterns that my nails had made in his back, whistling, "Holy crap, are you sure this doesn't hurt?"

Nicko shook his head, "Not at all."

I glanced at Mia to make sure she was still preoccupied, "What's wrong with you?"

He shook his head, "I'm fine Dems. Just a little tired."

It was a lie that I could see right through. So I grabbed his hand and pulled him down so I could whisper in his ear, "I know you're lying to me. So when you stop being stubborn please tell me what is wrong with you. We're supposed to be having a fresh start."

Nicko flexed his jaw and glanced at Mia, "Last night was a mistake okay? Just leave it at that. Angelina will be here soon so can we not be fighting when she gets here?"