The Chase (Thomas' POV)

I'm sitting by their fountain in the mall with my mates, they're talking the same old trash. We're laughing, goofing around, and then I spot her.

I went to elementary school with her, and she's always been dorky. But in the past few years, she's become a total hottie. And by hottie, I mean smoking, absolutely gorgeous. She's alone, as usual, I don't think she has a lot of friends. I watch her wander from store to store, probably looking for something dumb.

Finally, she finds what she's looking for. A pair of shiny high heels, I wonder what they're for. She makes her way towards my group of friends, or so I think. She actually just walks by, with a solemn side wards glance.

Then the boys start up, "Did you see her ass, man? Damn." My buddy Jeremy comments as he nudges my shoulder. Jeremy is such a wannabe, I don't even know who invited him here. I don't associate with losers. I'm the quarterback of the senior football team, even though I'm only in grade 11. I'm what you could call popular, all the girls want me and even some of the guys too. I'm constantly bombarded with people trying to get into my crowd, which is so fake. I'm not going to complain about the attention though, I like it.

"Dude, I should go talk to her," another loser quips, I don't even know his name.

"What would a girl like that want with a guy like you?" I roll my eyes, and straighten my varsity jacket. He backs off like a dog with its tail between its legs. Like I said, loser.

The girl seems like she's going somewhere else, probably another dumb clothing store. I cock my head and watch the way her butt sways, what's the big deal? She's wearing shorts, like any other girl would, but her butt is completely covered, which is a rarity at our age. She's going to the food court, so I decide to go too.

"Stay here," I bark at the bunch of idiots, who are currently splashing each other, and go in for the kill.

She hesitantly approaches the A&W and waits in the short line. I join her.

"Hey, how's it going girl?" I give her my $12,000 smile, that's been straightened by braces and veneered in the whitest shade imaginable. I know my dimples are showing when I smile this wide, chicks dig dimples.

"Um, pretty good. I'm just hungry at the moment. You?" She gives a weak smile, but I still see little blue braces peeking out. I guess she's late to the party.

"You know what, me too. I don't come here often, what do you recommend?" She scoffs at my question. "What, can't a man ask a polite, young lady an earnest question?" She doesn't want to be rude, I think she's going to actually answer me now.

"Um, well, I'm getting a poutine, that's what I always get. And a Diet Coke, Root Beer tastes like shit." She laughs like she's made a joke, but I can tell she's just uncomfortable.

"That sounds great, but Root Beer is pretty damn good." I nudge her arm and she flinches. I laugh. She laughs.

"Then I have to say that you have absolutely no taste, Tom." I can't help but feel surprised that she knows my name, I didn't know she talked to much of anybody, let alone about me.

"Well, dear, I happen to have exquisite taste, which is why I'll be getting a Root Beer." I cross my arms in mock defiance, but before she can say something, it's her turn to order. She orders exactly what she said she would, but gets a burger too.

She looks back at my slightly aghast expression and shrugs. "What, a girl can't eat when she's hungry?" She's full of surprises, I thought I knew her type. I had guessed that she would be like all of the other girls, but I'm wrong. How strange. Wow, she eats in front of guys.  She takes her food and I realize that I haven't ordered, I quickly ask for something off the top of my head and grab it.

She sits down and unwraps all of her food at once, weird. Once I reach her table, I sit across from her.

"Oh, are you joining me?" She doesn't look up from her food.

"Well, you're alone, and I'm alone, so I figured, why not?" I shrug and give her that grin again.

"Aren't your friends over there?" She finally looks up and gestures to the hooligans who're staring blatantly.

"Haha, well, I'd rather eat with you." I begin to unwrap my food, waiting for an excited 'really', but it doesn't come. She just continues eating quietly, taking small sips of her drink here and there. She reaches over to grab it again, but I grab it first and take a sip. She watches my eyes and it kind of scares me. It's like she knows some real shit, and shouldn't be messed with.

I laugh off the tightness that's formed in my chest and throat. "Wow, I thought I could give you the benefit of the doubt, but that tastes horrid." I mock disgust, it's actually not that different from a regular Coke, just less sweet. I kind of like it, really.

"Well, I like it." She throws her perfect blonde hair over her shoulder and takes a bite of her burger. I snicker, she can be funny too.  I think she's into me, good. I want, no need, a perfect girl by my side. It doesn't look good to be the only single guy on the football team, they'll think I'm gay or something. She just needs a few tweaks here and there, like her chipped nail polish, it looks gross. Her braces will hit the road soon too. Other than that, she looks pretty good. Her makeup is always magazine-perfected, without wearing too much. Like, you can tell she's wearing stuff, but it's not gross or anything.

Before I know it, she's done her food and packing up her things. I struggle for ideas to get her to stay. I try inviting her to come to my football game next weekend, it's the final game before summer vacation hits. She says she'll see if her boyfriend wants to go. I groan. Of course there's a boyfriend. The only girl I could stand being with for longer than 5 seconds, isn't single. Oh well, I'll have her by the end of the summer anyway.

I just need to get Mark out of the way.