Chapter 21

The following day, Cameron went home to have a long bath, after an exhausting day at work.
She was glad she didn't have to see her psychologist today, because she simply needed the time to herself.

She relaxed in the tub for about twenty minutes, before she decided to get out. As soon as she stepped out, she heard a knock at the door.

Sighing heavily, she quickly pulled on a robe, walking barefooted.

The knock came again, and Cameron muttered a curse, wondering who it was. "Coming!", she called out, trying to find something on her way, to bound her wet hair.

When nothing was to no avail, Cameron groaned, deciding to leave it as it was.

As she opened the door, she paled suddenly when she saw Nate standing before her. Her body seemed numb for a while, thus leaving her motionless.
Nate stared at her like she was a rare gem, his lingering gaze devouring her whole body before it settled on her face. His gulp was visible and he used the tip of his tongue to moisten his lips.

"Hi", was all he could manage to say.

"Hi", she retorted in a croaky tone, briefly closing her eyes to hide her embarrassment. She cleared her throat, looking at him. "Why are you here?", she asked, knowing that she sounded somewhat harsh.

"To talk", Nate informed, his eyes not being able to leave the fresh beauty of her face. In his eyes, she looked so vulnerable, with her hair hanging down her shoulders and a face that was freshly cleaned and tinted with a blush creeping up on her cheeks.

Cameron was hesitant for a while, contemplating whether or not she should let him in. She didn't want to get hurt again and so she thought that pushing him away, would prevent that from happening.

"Please", Nate plead when he realized that she was hesitant.

Cameron played with the hem of her robe as she bit her lips, with eyes lowered to the floor. She then stepped to once side, allowing him entrance.

"Take a seat. I'll be back in a moment", she said, and without awaiting his reply, she strolled from the room.

Nate sighed, plopping down on the soft cushiony surface of the sofa. His eyes traveled around the entire room, noticing the artistic portraits lining the olive green walls. All her furniture was well polished and neatly situated in the room. She was a neat person, he realized with a smile. It was a new experience for Nate, seeing a woman's apartment. He had always rented hotel rooms or have his women visit him at his house whenever he needed their pleasures. This was a first for him, but with Cameron, he found that he had and will have a lot of 'firsts'.

Cameron was in her room panicking as she thought of a way to deal with Nate. His presence had taken her by surprise and she would be lying if she said she wasn't a nervous wreck. Upon seeing him, her heartbeat had plummeted and her palms had gone sweaty, which was a new experience for her. She had never felt nervous around a man before, and right now nervousness was proving to be an understatement.

Straightening her shoulders and clearing her throat, Cameron left the room and went to join Nate.

"I have someplace to be, so you've gotta make this quick", she announced sternly and Nate sighed, rising from the sofa.

He wasn't quite sure where he'd start. He had never proclaimed his love to someone before.

"Cameron, I'm very sorry for hurting you-", he began but Cameron cut him off in mid-sentence.

"You didn't hurt me", she lied, swallowing the lump that formed in her throat.

Nate knew she was lying in order to present a brave front and so he continued, moving a step closer towards her. She took a step back.