Finn's Copter--deleted scene

Finn peered into the mirror, trying to get his bow tie to lie straight. All eyes would be on him today, a million photos would be taken, and he wanted to look just right. He tried pinning the fresh flower to his jacket pocket and stabbed his finger in the process. "Ow!"

Over his shoulder in the mirror, the grinning face of his best friend Burrito leaned in. "Those roses fight back, man. Don't let your boutonniere get the upper hand."

"How'd I let you talk me into this?" Finn sucked his finger where a tiny drop of blood bloomed.

"Now, now," Burrito said. "Wedding day jitters are perfectly normal. You're doing the right thing." He surveyed his own reflection, brushing a piece of lint from his lapel.

"You got the rings, right?"

"Not to worry," said Burrito, patting his jacket pocket.

"Look at these sleeves!" Finn held his arms out to the sides. "At least two inches too long. And this jacket is so wide, a whole other person could fit inside it with me."

"The jacket's not so bad," said Burrito, licking his thumb and smoothing his eyebrow. He swept frowning eyes over Finn. "It's those flood water pants that are embarrassing. You sure about those socks?"

Finn's mother came in the room. "How's it going, guys? They're just about ready."

Burrito said, "Hello, Mrs. E. You're looking lovely today."

Mom smiled at him. "You're looking very nice yourself, Brian." She turned to her son. "Oh, Finn. Don't you have any black socks? Let me get your father to switch with you. You can't go down the aisle like that." She hurried out of the room in a rustle of blue silk.

Burrito said, "Dude, is that a zit on your cheek or an active volcano?"

"It's a mosquito bite," Finn said, scratching at his face with too much force. "I had one buzzing in my room last night that kept me up for an hour."

"That explains the dark circles under your eyes," Burrito looked into the mirror. "Too bad, we can't all be perfection."

Finn's mom came back in holding a pair of black socks overhead. "Quick, put these on. Oh, dear. Your face is bleeding. Did you really need to pick today to start shaving?"

"I've been shaving for a while now, Mom, thanks for noticing. Do you have a tissue or something?"

She rushed away again. Burrito's brother appeared in the doorway. "Five minutes, guys. Finn, thanks again for jumping in at the last minute. Burrito, you have the rings, right?"

Burrito pulled two gold wedding bands from his pocket and displayed them for his brother. "Gotcha covered, bro."

"Good, gotta go." He left, calling over his shoulder. "Back of the church now, gentlemen!"

Finn swiped at his face with his sleeve. "Tell me again why I'm doing this?"

"His buddy Matt got sick at the bachelor party," Burrito said. "You should have heard Marlena this morning. I now understand the word Bridezilla."

"What do you mean?" asked Finn.

"She blew a gasket about the party. My brother's so lame—he whimpered like a kicked puppy."

"Wasn't bungee jumping and Mexican food his idea?"

"Maybe not entirely. Bygones. Let's go over the plan."

"Yeah, I've been thinking about that. If I'm standing at the front of the church with you instead of at the back like we said, how's that going to work?"

"After you take your bridesmaid up the aisle and all of us are up front, the minister will ask everyone to be seated. Then he talks for about three hours, and finally he will say, 'Do you have the rings?' That's your cue. I'll pretend I can't find them in my pocket, everyone will start to freak, and then, out of the sky—the rings!"

Finn nodded. After flying the FPV all month, he could fly through the tightest spaces and land on a dime. A church full of pillars should be no problem. Still he frowned. "But if you're up front with me, who will set the copter?"

Finn's little sister Gabriella appeared in the doorway. "Hi, Burrito, you look nice. Finn, mom said to give you this." She handed him a tissue. "Ew."

Burrito said, "Hey Gabi, nice dress. I need a favor."

"Hang on," Finn interrupted. "Is that a good idea?"

"Gabi is just the person we need," Burrito said. He explained what she had to do. "Will you do it?"

Her face lit up. "No problem. Where is it now?"

Burrito pulled a black velvet bag from under a chair. "Come with me."

***

When the organ played, the bridal party moved into place. The flowers shone white at the altar. The congregation rose for the bride, and happy tears were dabbed through smiles.

As all attention focused on the front of the room, Gabi thought that really was a beautiful dress.

The minister raised his hands, the music played, and everyone rose to sing. Gabi signed to her mother that she had to use the restroom.

"Now?" her mother signed back, incredulous.

Gabi nodded, slipped out of her pew, and walked quickly to the back of the church. She smiled at Tess and Maribelle sitting together in the last row.

She passed through the open double doors of the sanctuary. The music faded away. She stepped lightly, keeping her heels from touching down to avoid the ringing footsteps she would make on the marble floor. In the church narthex, she retrieved the black velvet bag where they'd hidden it. She withdrew the quadcopter, and set it on the carpet near the sanctuary entranceway and looked toward the altar.

The maid-of-honor read a scripture—not yet. Another hymn played and was sung—not yet. Finally, the bride and groom held hands in front of the minister who asked them to speak their vows—must be soon.

In anticipation of the loud buzzing, she shut off her hearing aids. Peering toward the altar, Gabi now realized that without them, she wouldn't be able to hear the minister from here. She hoped for a sign it was time. Yes, they were looking around, Burrito was there patting his pockets. Finn in his FPV googles stood up—it must be time. Gabi turned on the drone and four sets of propellers started with a loud buzzing. All eyes in the church turned to her and the copter at her feet.

It rose slowly, causing tiny tornados to ruffle her dress and hair. The rings attached to the underside glinted. The copter leaned forward and lapped the room. Abruptly, the drone lost altitude and swooped low over pews on the right. Women's hats flew off, and everyone ducked. One older gentlemen in the first row seemed oblivious, and the drone hooked his hairpiece. The drone lurched heavenward and flew off with it, heading straight for the bride. She screamed. People rose, clearing their pews toward the exits, while others cowered. Gabi pulled out her phone along with others to catch the scene on video.

Burrito stood with his hands stretched overhead, and the drone landed in the baptismal in front of him. Finn cut the motor and pulled off his goggles. He rushed to help Burrito free the dripping toupee from the copter's rotors, untangling the sopping mess enough to find the rings underneath.

The minister said, "If everyone would please have a seat, let's get these nice people married, shall we?"

Gabi gave Finn a thumbs up.

Feeling foolish, Finn closed his eyes for moment, then opened them and caught Gabi's eye. She gave him the American Sign Language sequence for "Oh well. Could have happened to anyone."

He and Burrito mimicked her sign—holding up both hands, palms out with fingers facing upward. "Oh well."