Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I woke up to the sun seeping in through the window. I didn’t want to get up. Despite sleeping all night, my body was still exhausted. I blamed it on the worry of being away from home.

I finally got up and walked to the sliding door that led to a balcony. The view, which showed the back of the hotel, was the beautiful forest that covered most of the area.

I thought about what my parents would be doing just then. I had brought shame to my family and to my pack. I had no idea whether Alpha Nicolas already knew that I ran away. I was worried about the repercussions my family would have to face, but I was convincing myself that this was the right decision.

After asking Marie for directions to the best place to have breakfast in, she led me to the diner I had seen after arriving in town. She offered to make me breakfast, which was complimentary of the hotel, but I wanted some fresh air.

I was sitting alone in one of the booths towards the back. It was around ten in the morning, but things seemed to be running slow in town.

“Mind if I take a seat with you?” A brown haired guy asked me, as he took a seat in my booth.

“Go ahead,” I said, more to myself than him.

He was already sitting down. It didn’t take much to figure out he was a Werewolf, and a strong one at that.

When the girl came to take his order, he asked for some coffee and pancakes.

I noticed she gave him a lasting look. I understood why. He was attractive- with hazel eyes, a nice tan, and strong build.

The girl left soon after and didn’t take long to return with his meal. During that time, the guy stared at me but he didn’t break the silence. I didn’t say anything either. I only acknowledged his stare, but I kept reading my book.

“You do know that you’re trespassing, right?” He asked me, after taking a bite from his pancakes.

“I wasn’t aware that there was a pack here. I’m just passing through,” I responded while looking directly at him.

“I’m Jace, Beta of Midnight Moon Pack,” the guy said, out-stretching his hand for me to shake.

“Leila,” I answered, shaking his hand.

“You know, you give off an air of power. Yet you’re running around another packs territory, alone,” Jace said to me, with a questioning look.

“Like I said, I’m passing through. I’m not going to disturb the pack and I’ll make sure to keep out of the woods,” I dryly replied.

“It doesn’t make you less of a threat.”

He cocked an eyebrow and gave me a look I had seen my own dad give to Rogues who he thought would be trouble.

“So what would assure you that your pack is safe with my presence?” I asked him.

“Most of the Rogues who cross our territory don’t leave alive,” he said, with a threatening tone.

He was trying to intimidate me, but it wasn’t working. He was a powerful Wolf in his pack, but I could tell he wasn’t the Alpha. His tone had no effect on me whatsoever. The fact that I was no longer part of a pack didn’t help the intimidation he was aiming for.

“Are you implying I should watch myself from your pack?”

“It depends on your intentions. When do you plan to leave?” Jace continued eating calmly, like if we weren’t discussing my possible elimination.