Chapter 5

They finally started the movie and eating pizza, for Zara this was a great evening with her big brothers. She hardly ever got to do this and the only time she saw them both was at school and the station. Even though they were supposed to be watching a movie, they spent most of the time talking and catching up on each other’s life. Suddenly the phone rang, Zac ran out into the hallway to pick it up, it was Zara’s mum, she was frantic!

“Where the hell have you been?” Zara’s mum practically screamed down the phone.

“I’ve been with Zac and Elliot!” Zara murmured.

“You’ve been where? Well I don’t care just get home now your father and I have got some news!” this was the one time ever Zara had ever heard her Mum excited.

Zara bid her goodbyes to Zac and Elliot and got the bus home. The bus journey was only about 10 minutes but it seemed longer. All Zara could think about was her parents news, what was it? When was her Mum ever excited? Were they sending her off to boarding school or something?

When she got home both her parents were sitting in the kitchen. They were holding hands looking all soppy. Whatever this amazing news was it obviously didn’t involve her and only involved her parents.

“Zara come through here!” her Mum’s high pitched voice rang through the house.

“Coming!” Zara said as she took her shoes off and dumped her bag and blazer on the floor.

“We have some news to tell you!” her Dad said.

“What?” Zara said still confused about what it could be.

“Your father’s got a promotion!” Zara’s Mum squeaked.

“Oh right,” Zara said not surprised that the news was job related.

“And the best part is we all get to move to India!” her Dad said.

“WHAT?”

“In 2 weeks’ time we’re all moving to India!”

“You’ve got to be kidding me! India, I am not moving to India, where no one speaks English and everyone eats curry!” Zara was now practically shouting. “For God’s sake I don’t even like curry! I am not moving to a country where I’ll have no friends and have a 1 in 2 chance of getting food poisoning!”

Zara’s Mum was now almost at the same decibel as Zara “Well you’re just going to have to like it because you don’t have any choice in the matter!”

“Oh no of course I don’t, because I’m not important, I’m just an inconvenience aren’t I?” Zara screamed, “Aren’t I?”

“I don’t care what you think of us Zara but you’re coming!”

“NO I’M NOT! I WILL DO ANYTHING I CAN NOT TO COME!” Zara grabbed her shoes and bag, she headed straight for the door and she was never turning back!