Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Chapter 8

I just couldn't sleep well last night, replaying Logan's kiss and our conversation over and over again. I've had boyfriends before, but none of them made me experience so much pleasure from a kiss or made me feel so sexy and desired. But I know I have to stop thinking about him and focus on my problems, so I get up and start my morning routine.

When I get to the kitchen, I'm surprised when I don't see my father there. I look at the balcony and it's empty too.

"Dad!" I say as I pass the living room and head to his room.

"DAD!" I call him again, making my way back to the kitchen. It's then that I see a notepad on the table with a message from him.

Good Morning sweetie,

I'm at Mary's place. She invited me over for breakfast this morning and said you are more than welcome to join us when you wake up.

Love you.

"Well, that's interesting!" I smile. Although I can't understand his sudden interest in spending more time with her, I'm happy he is willing to.

Since he discovered he has cancer, he's been really sad and worried. He tries to hide it, but I can see it in his eyes. So, if spending time with her is making him feel better, I'm more than happy to let them be.

I have a quick breakfast, then start cleaning the house a little. Since I don't get to work until eleven, I decide to go to the beach with Bear for a while and do some grocery shopping for the barbecue this weekend.

After playing catch with him for a while, I sit by the shore and let him play in the water for a bit. I'm reading a book when I feel someone sitting by my side, and I don't have to look to know who it is.

"Are you ready to tell me why you need a husband?" I can feel his eyes on me, but I don't turn my attention to him.

"Nope." I continue reading my book.

I feel him sigh beside me and I'm startled when he takes the hand that was sitting on my lap and entwines it with his.

"If you are really not willing to try anything romantic with me, at least give me the chance to be your friend," he says.

I look at him and feel the sincerity of his voice reflected in his eyes, and suddenly I want to share all my fears with him.

"Okay." I look back at the sea and close my book.

He brings my hand to his lips and presses a soft kiss on the back of it before holding it back on his lap. I smile at the soft gesture and after a long time, I open up.

"Dad has cancer. A rare type of leukemia." I feel a knot in my throat.

"I'm so sorry, Olivia." He caresses the inside of my hand with his thumb.

"We discovered it about two years ago. I had just finished college and was about to rent a small apartment with my roommate. I had a great job lined up, everything going according to plan, you know? Until one of our neighbors called saying he had passed out and had been admitted to the hospital. One week later, we received the worst news of our lives." I have to stop for a moment because my heart is breaking all over again.

"He is not responding to the treatments anymore..." My breath catches. "He might die, Logan," I say it out loud for the first time, and this time I can't contain the tears that burn out of my eyes.

He puts his arm around my shoulder and pulls me closer to him. I bury my face in his chest and try to absorb all the comfort I can. I don't know how long we stay like that but I'm happy he doesn't say anything and just lets me cry.