Chapter 5

Something felt really good.

In the bleary state of subconsciousness she was in she couldn't pinpoint what it was at first; all she knew was that there was a series of gentle pressures being administered against her stomach, the side of her shoulder, her jawline, her temple. When she finally forced her eyes open, she smiled. Well, at first. Then, remembering who and where she was, her eyes widened. Of course, Deeks, who was currently kissing the side of her neck with his eyes still partially closed, couldn't see her. But he must have felt her stiffen under his touch, so he mumbled, "Good morning, beautiful."

She blushed remembering the night before, bunching the plush white comforter in her hands and pulling it up to cover her bare chest. Noticing her behavior Deeks smirked, pulling away from her slightly to roll to his side, propping his head up with his elbow as he stared at her. "No need to be shy, Kensi. You certainly weren't last night."

At that point, her face was probably the color of a tomato. She tried to respond, but the words died on her tongue.

"Aw, you're so adorable when you're flustered." He tried to lean in for a kiss, but she rolled away, almost falling off of the bed. He stifled a laugh while she scrambled to remain on the mattress, catching one of her flailing arms in his strong grip and helping to keep her upright and on the mattress.

When she noticed his obvious amusement, she glared. "Not a word, Deeks."

"Fine, fine," he said easily, raising his hands as a gesture of surrender.

A moment passed as Kensi tried to put together her thoughts, finally speaking. "Listen, uh, Deeks... I- Last night was..."

"Incredible, epic, invigorating, best sex you've ever had?" he completed, grin still firmly in place.

"I was going to say a mistake."

His grin didn't falter, but it stopped reaching his eyes. "Oh."

"I- I like you, Deeks, I do. But this... situation... I don't know. I was confused and scared and not myself and-"

"It's okay, Kens," Deeks interrupted, standing up to grab his clothes. She tried not to stare at his body (which, for the record, was the definition of perfection), forcing herself to look away as he continued to talk. "You know what? I totally understand."

"I'm- I'm sorry, Deeks."

"Don't be," he said, obviously straining to keep the disappointment from his voice. Now fully dressed, he closed a cedar chest that she hadn't noticed before, making eye contact with her. She was still sitting on the bed, comforter pulled up to her chin. "Really, it's fine."

"I didn't mean-"

"For the record," he interrupted, something that nobody had did to her in years, "last night had to have been one of the best nights of my life." He was looking right at her, then popped two of the buttons on his white shirt open revealing a portion of his tan chest.

Kensi frowned, biting her lip. A few seconds of heavy silence passed before Deeks finally broke it, asking in a monotone, "It's because I'm not royalty, isn't it?"

"Excuse me?"

"That's why you're not interested. I'm not... good enough."

"Deeks."

"What? It's the truth."

"No, it's not."

"Then why? A few hours ago, you seemed more than interested."

"Because, Deeks! Because we could never be together!" she yelled, squeezing the comforter tightly in her fists. "What happens when we fall in love? We just stay in this shack our whole lives? Never return to the kingdom?"