Chapter Six

"Mmm." The woman moaned as she rolled over in the hay. Her arm draped over Ry's chest, fingers curled against his clavicle. Normally Ry would've bed then fled. Snuggling after the fact wasn't something he enjoyed. It was too intimate. Women were like puppies to him. Show them an act of kindness and they'd follow him around waiting for the next treat to fall. It was easier to form no attachments. Not after the one time he had allowed himself to fall in love. It wasn't her fault she left him, he knew that, but her death still left him broken and he never wanted to feel that devastated again.

A chill filled the air. The sun hadn't raised enough to kill off the frost, but their body heat kept him comfortable. His hand stroked the stable master's daughters arm. She'd slept on him for hours and he couldn't bring himself to slip away. He came looking for horses, knowing she'd give them to him with a flash of his charm. Though he wouldn't make her feel like that was the only reason he'd slept with her. He glanced to the window above the hay loft. Sunlight from the rising sun swept through the hay, casting it in its glow. His hand shook the girl awake.

"Don't tell me you have to leave already," she muttered.

"Unfortunately, I do. My friends are waiting and it's a matter of time before the guards come here."

She sat up, covering her chest with her arm. Ry smiled and tucked her hair behind her ear, caressing her skin. A blush colored her cheeks. He leaned in and pressed his lips against hers, guiding her with his tongue. Her body quivered, yearning for more, before he pulled away. His breath pushed against her lips, gentle as any kiss, a deliberate act to please her more.

"I know you only came to gain access to my father's horses," she said, panting. "But the things you did with your mouth. What do you call that?"

Ry smiled and gathered his discarded clothing from the hay. He took his time, picking a strand of hay off them one by one. Ry spent a lot of time working out for moments like these. Each of his muscles purposefully sculpted for the sake of the women he charmed.

"I told you I'd give you copper instead," he said. He straightened his while she was busy trying to tie the laces to her corset. Ry sauntered back to her, moving her hands from the laces to tie it for her. She smelled like sweet lemons. Ry wouldn't have minded staying for a repeat performance, but Demitra was serious when she said she wouldn't wait. If he had hope to find Kira, he needed Demitra.

The girl said, "This was more fun for me than a few bits of copper."

"What will you tell your father?"

She smiled. "Certainly not that Rylanne of the Glades deflowered me."

"Tell him someone stole the horses. It's better you don't admit you saw me right now." She followed as he climbed down the ladder and gathered her father's three fastest mares. Ry was in the middle of saddling them when she tossed a forest green cloak with brown patchwork at his head.

"You'll want to wear that until you get out of town. They'll think you're my father taking the horses to the breeding station. It's that time of year for them. Nobody will stop you, they know better than to get into my father's way. I suspect that's also why they haven't come to the stables yet, father would be most displeased."

"I don't suppose your father has a weapon? A dagger, sword, anything at this point."

"Sadly, no. He doesn't believe in them, nor does he need them. There's always someone to fight his battles for him." Ry cupped her cheek before pressing his lips to her beautiful forehead. "Did I measure up? I mean—"

She sucked on her lower lip. Her downcast eyes avoided him. One of his thumbs traced the delicate freckles covering the bridge of her nose. While she lacked the classic beauty he normally craved, there was still something about her drawing him in. The way her plump body curved under her modest dress, how her black hair coiled in perfect waves—all of it masked the beauty bubbling within her, waiting to bloom.