Chapter 12: Blue Moon Ceremony

Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone,
Without a dream in my heart,
Without a love of my own,
Blue moon, you knew just what I was there for,
You heard me saying a prayer for,
Someone I could care for,

And then there suddenly appeared before me,
Someone my arms could really hold,
I heard you whisper "Darling please adore me,"
And when I looked to the moon it had turned to gold

-Blue Moon 

A cloud of silence had fallen over the castle

Many eyes glanced at what form of devices they could find that showed time to their wondering eyes.

Mr. Joseph looked around the ballroom nervously making the last walk to check that everything was in place, before taking out his phone. 

One more minute. 

The kitchen did not stop in their hurried dash as they ran around with the hot fires and heat of the stoves radiating off them. Only one worker took the time to stop and look up at the ticking clock above their heads.

One more minute.

Fayette, Jane, Lizzy, and Charles set down the plates and silverware for the dining hall, followed by many professional decorators who looked into the small details and adjusted the plates to face a certain way, made sure the forks were correctly placed, that the flowers would not fall onto anyone's spot. 

Fayette asked Lizzy for the time, only to have Charles look at the watch on his wrist and say, "11:59."

"One more minute," Fayette said. 

The seconds ticked by until they dwindled down to the final few, as the handle completed its full rotation around the circle of the clock. 

There was a moment of silence. And then the Bells started to ring. 

One by one, each deep sonorous sound echoed across the halls of the palace as each worker took a moment to pause in their movement and lean their heads towards the source of the noise. 

All took in a deep breath. 

But only a moment was spared for the 12 o'clock noon bells. 

Gradually each began to go back to their own work, knowing that the bells signaled only one thing. 

The Blue Moon Ceremony had begun.