Prologue

Prologue

September 2003

Well, isn't this odd.

I’m used to finding Quezon Memorial Circle full of people—whether families, friends, or the typical couple on a cheap date—strolling along the fountain area or sitting on one of the stone benches. It is, after all, a public park. It’s one of the cheap forms of leisure people can afford, and to find the park bereft of its usual crowd was downright strange.

I was seated on one of the marble stone steps at the memorial tower, already on the last two pages of Judith McNaught’s Once and Always. I checked my watch.

Richard was late again. Unbelievable.

A soft breeze ruffled my wavy, shoulder-length hair. I wore it loose this time as I knew he liked this style best. I pushed my glasses back up my nose as I read the remaining pages.

I’ve taken extra care of my look for today. I’ve decided to forego my usual grunge look of nondescript t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers in favor of a really cute floral dress (which I conveniently “borrowed” from my sister’s closet). I felt somewhat apprehensive in a dress; I wasn’t really that comfortable showing off my legs. I told myself it’s for a special occasion and I knew my little sacrifice would be worth the trouble.

I’ve been checking my watch for the past couple of minutes, worry and anxiety eating my insides. I tried to stifle it by distracting myself with reading and just soaking up the peace and quiet.

When I finally finished the book and stashed it inside my bag, I looked up to find the sky awash with the purple-pink haze of a picturesque sunset. The scenery, coupled by the serene environment, was like something out of a romance novel. I felt like the heroine, waiting for her loved one in a romantic tryst of sorts.

 Richard wanted to meet here because he had to tell me something important. I egged him to tell me over the phone, but he said he wanted to talk to me in person. I went around a thousand and one thoughts on what that “something important” might be. I initially thought he might propose to me because: a) Quezon Memorial Circle is the place where it all started for us as a couple, and b) what else would it be if the guy was so damn secretive about something that involved the two of us? I glanced at the promise ring on my finger. It was Richard’s gift on our third year as a couple. The sterling silver has gotten quite a few scratches over the past year or so that I’ve worn it.

Then again, we’ve only graduated from college six months ago. Getting engaged or married at this point in our lives would be a rash decision.

To be honest, I wouldn’t mind us bringing our relationship to the next level. Richard and I have known each other since high school and have been dating since our freshman year in college. We’ve been dubbed as the “love team of the century” because of that memorable 70s classic anime about a super robot pilot who fell in love with an alien princess.

I’ve always seen myself marrying Richard in the long run. I know it may sound cheesy, but I’m just that kind of person who values long-term relationships. Besides, I recently signed a job offer from a well-established publishing company so I feel like everything was falling into place.

I got so engrossed looking at the sunset that I didn’t realize someone sat beside a few meters from me until I heard a voice speak.

“Hello, Erika.”

I nearly jumped when I turned to the person who spoke. “Richard! Jeez, stop sneaking up on me like that.”

He grinned and scooted closer beside me. “You’re always the jumpy one.”