Chapter 13: Will it End Here?

Eleven days before Christmas and someone in the neighborhood was playing the radio, again, in full blast. Christmas songs had instantly filled the airwaves the minute Halloween was over.

I used to dream about white Christmas and reindeers, but Philippines is a tropical country, and there would never be snowflakes and snowman, and I admit I realized it too late. Still, there was always the hope in me of one day seeing snow falling outside, covering the ground and the trees. Though despite the lack of snow, there would always be the spirit of giving and sharing, the feeling of exuberance, and the smiles enough to give way to a merry Christmas and happy holidays.

It felt like only yesterday the last time I celebrated Christmas with my family. My parents were still together, and King and I still had our chops for treats. We would hang socks on our bedroom doors and wait till midnight were we would sneak and check if Santa had yet arrived. Everything seemed simple back then and the existence of Santa Claus was never questioned.

Now my Christmas was different. It felt like too far away. From my parent’s separation to everything that happened after then. The cold outside was different, too. Global warming was surely taking its toll. It wasn’t cold, but there were chills, and it came from deep within. The blinking yellow, green and red lights gave me nothing but nausea. There wasn’t a dose of festivity in my bone. Maybe I still had the hangover from Halloween. Though I hadn’t even realized it coming and going.

Tonight was the annual charity event at the Shaias. I accepted the invitation though I admit I had no idea whatsoever of what people normally do at such event. My family did donate toys and old clothes to the less fortunate, but it wasn’t like we had to hold events to do it.

I picked a dress online, a silver strapless long dress that sparkles from the waist down to the hem. It was classy, but not too much to regale the eyes of anyone. I bought the dress because I liked it, and I didn’t mean to impress. Maybe I had Noah in mind when I entered my dad’s credit card number, but still, I didn’t mean to cause a scene. And I loved the way my hair had been curled at the salon Molly recommended to me. She was right. The salon really did wonders. But it cost a heck of a sum that I was so sure my dad would go nuts if he learned I spent so much money just for hair, and just for one night!

At exactly 6 o’clock, I heard the horn of Martin’s Camaro. I knew it was him because he had put a distinct sound to it, more like someone was saying quack-quack at my door. I was only hitching a ride, as it appeared I didn’t have a date. Noah didn’t know I was coming.

Molly was dressed in a short black dress that hugged her figure very elegantly and made her look like a chic making her first strut at the red carpet. Whoa. I realized then that she hadn’t pestered me about her dress. I looked at her and Martin, and I knew then what inspired her. Jeez. I didn’t know a boyfriend was all she ever needed. I almost wanted to give Martin a hug.

I made my way to the backseat, and I couldn’t help but feel queasy remembering the last time I sat here. Molly looked at me with concern and I tried to brush away the uneasy feeling that was starting to unsettle me and smiled instead.

The Shaias has taste. It was the first thought I had the moment I saw the giant yellow lanterns that lined up the drive. I knew Molly had the same thought, as her jaw went slack, savoring the lights and the soft music emanating from the huge marquee that was visible from where we stood.

“Wow. Chelsea—the brat—lives here? Please tell me I’m having delusions. She doesn’t deserve such class!” Trust Molly to say things like that.

Martin paled, and I knew why. He was afraid someone might overhear. He still thought Chelsea was the goddess of the good and only the good.

“Relax, Martin,” I said, giving him a small smile. And it was the first time I really meant what I said to him.