Smirk

Evan smiles cheekily at me. My eyes roll at his pathetic self and pull my jeans back up. He's a not so good person but he's all right in bed.

"Love you!" He calls as I light a shit. My eyes narrow and once I reach the door I throw the hot cigarette at him. The sharp yelp behind me brings a smile to my face.

Oh how much I hate Evan Peters.

Sweat beads my body as I walk down the sidewalk, leather jacket and all. I need a drink. Something good too.

I hesitate in front of Twon's tavern, the hoarse laughter and table bangings setting me off. With a deep breath and a few words of encouragement I step into my home away from home. Antwon dances saucily with a chica who barely looks legal.

I've been here so much that my best friend gave me the right to be behind the bar when he's out trying to get laid: because let's face it, even working men need some hanky panky.

"Aye, pretty lady!" Ignore. "Sweet mama!" Ignore. "Fat bottom!" Ignore. "Slim thick!" Ignore. But thanks. "Beautiful!"

I stand straight up.

I haven't been called beautiful in years. My heart quivers at his rough voice. Slowly, I turn around and see a bald headed man shaking his hand in the air. He's thick and stalky like the rest of them, but he's got a friendly smile.

"Why are you always alone? Come sit with us!"

I cringe.

I open my mouth to speak but end up just shaking my head. Angelica pops up from the middle of the group. "Oh please? I never see you anymore! All you do is hanging out with Evan--."

"You better shut the hell up before I make you, little girl," I snarl. Her eyes widen in shock. I stalk closer to her, ready for a fight. "You don't know me. You don't know what I do. Go back to your posh mansion with your ten maids. You don't belong here."

"And you do?" I'd know that voice anywhere.

"I've done bad. Angelica, you are still a baby."

Her jaw drops. She stutters, trying to come up with something to say. "B-but you're here!"

My laugh is sickly sweet. "Are you five? You don't have to do something because everyone else does it. Go back to your parents while they still care."

"Midnight--."

"It's Violet." Angelica retracts the hand I know she was gonna use to try to touch me. The last time she touched me, other than a light tap, her arm was snapped in half. "Go home. I don't want to see you here again."

"I'm a big girl."

I burst into a laugh. She thinks she's grown? Around here there is no such thing as grown until you've earned your stay. She isn't ready to pay up yet. "Baby sister, do yourself a favor and go home."

Angelica sighs. "They love you."

I pull my jacket tighter, the harsh stares from the huddle of men brings goosebumps to my skin. I glance over at my sister and shrug. She doesn't know anything. She's naive and ignorant as to why I even live in this place.

I pour myself a shot. I swish the liquid around the glass before downing it quickly. A satisfied smirk crosses my face.

"Nobody loves me."