Saturday, 8:55 A.M.

My eyes slowly opened, unadjusted to the mid-morning sunlight. They were still slightly pink from crying, for I had fallen asleep only four hours prior to my awakening. A shiver ran down my spine as my mind replayed the heated words my father and I threw at each other. I contemplated what I would say when I saw him downstairs. Would he still be angry? Upset? Or would he apologize for comparing me to my brother? No, he wouldn't do that—why would he apologize for my wrongdoings?

I laid still under my bed covers, too lazy to get up, too nervous to face my family after embarrassing myself. I decided on the latter. An achy feeling encapsulated my entire tired body as I stretched by back, which was soon followed by a yawn. I ran my fingers through my knotted bed-head, hoping to brush away the endless auburn tangles. Wiping the dried tears and night's drool off my freckled face, I rolled out of bed and quietly slunk down the coffee-colored staircase. Rounding the corner to enter the living room, I walked straight into Charlie, his tawny hair strewn atop his head.

"You're in for it," he told me in a hoarse voice, still half-asleep. "After your little 'episode' with Dad last night, I caught him and mom talking about your punishment. You better start packing. I've heard being homeless is pretty hard," he teased. I lightly punched his shoulder, too used to my brother constantly provoking me.

"But seriously," I began, "did you hear if they're taking my phone or if I'm grounded or something? I asked tentatively. Though we always bickered, my brother and I never lied to each other. Charlie shrugged.

"I don't know, probably."

"Where's Dad?"

"I don't know, I just woke up."

​"Mom?"

​"I don't—"

"Ugh, never mind." I walked past him, eager to find my father. Passing the kitchen table where I had unfortunately made a fool of myself the previous evening, a loose-leaf piece of paper caught my eye. I grabbed it, examining the note to try to recognize the chicken-scratch handwriting. It was Dad's.

Just left at 7:15—on time for once—to catch my flight at 8:45 for my business trip in Cali :) See you guys in a few days!
Love, Dad

I had completely forgotten about his west-coast conference for the weekend. My stomach lurched, knowing I hadn't been able to apologize face-to-face. I'd be able to call him in a few hours once he landed, but waiting that long would feel like an eternity.

Placing the note back to its original place, I dragged my feet to the living room—finally —and plopped my exhausted body onto the sand-colored couch. I grabbed my phone from my back pocket to entertain myself until I mustered the energy to make breakfast.