15. Together Again

I had to fight my way out of my room after another day of being confined to the Gods awful hospital bed. I almost caused a scene.

I was feeling much better, physically at least. I missed the simple comforts: a place that was my own, a bed, food. I wanted the world to leave me alone for a few days, for things to settle down so I could make sense of all that had happened. Like with New York, this whole fiasco with HYDRA had only taken place in the time span of a week, if not longer than that.

So much in such little time.

Todd and Tasha had dropped by earlier this morning, giving me a change of clothes. They were going to negotiate Steve's release and mine. Now, I was out of the hospital gown and back to normal clothing. I had nothing attached to me, so I was able to leave the room.

I felt a new sense of freedom upon leaving the room. Like nothing could touch me. Like nothing could hold me back. I walked through the halls with a bit of swagger. Though I would feel fine for right now, I knew it wouldn't last. Something would come along to snatch this mood improvement away.

I decided to hunt for Steve's room, as Todd had told me his room hadn't been far from mine. Only a few doors down, actually. In a hasty little trot, I kept my eyes focused, waiting to see something familiar that would bring me into the room. I was four doors in when I saw him pulling a shirt over his head.

I backtracked, peeking in to make sure I wasn't tricking my brain. I wasn't.

He was alone, Sam Wilson wasn't with him. Good, so now I don't have to make awkward eye contact with a man I tried to kill in my brainwashed state of mind. I saw the shield at the base of the bed, too. It was a much welcomed sight.

My breath hitched in my throat when I met Steve's shining blue eyes. We went right for each other, I practically jumped into his arms. I hugged him so tight, I didn't care if I hurt him. I burrowed my head into his shoulder, his hand brushed through my hair.

I pulled away to see fading bruises, cuts, and a black eye on his face. I delicately touched his face, he was trying his hardest to not flinch.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you've got Asgardian healing powers," I joked halfheartedly. "These should be gone within the next day or two. How're you feeling?"

"Truthfully, it's hard to say." Gods, I missed how gentle his voice was. He pulled the chain out from under his shirt, letting the flame necklace rest comfortably on the surface. "I want to say that I'm fine."

"But you're not. I know the feeling."

"Did they hurt you?"

"What? Steve, I'm..." I sighed. "Well, I'm not fine. I'm just...normal, I guess. I'm me again. No mind control. No power shortage. Just Kiara Rivers."

"I'm glad, because I missed her, so much." He pushed his forehead against mine.

"I did too." I cleared my throat, avoiding eye contact. "I'm sorry, for what I've done."

"It wasn't your fault. You weren't in control."

I licked my lips. "That's what frustrates me. That it wasn't my control. It was that bastard, Alexander Pierce. He pulled all the right strings for the wrong cause—well, it was the right cause for him. He ruined S.H.I.E.L.D., he..." I shivered.

"You don't need to talk about it. I saw enough." He frowned.

"Did you hear? We're getting discharged, or trying to be anyway. Todd and Nat are working that out now." I looked around. "Where's your bodyguard at?"