10 (Afterwards)

It's everything you wanted, it's everything you don't
It's one door swinging open and one door swinging close
It's some prayers finding answers and some prayers never known
It's holding on and letting go
Holding on and letting go - Tvd Ost

  Chrissy had run into my house again, in the middle of the night, covered in bruises and crying profusely. It hadn't been long she'd gotten out of the hospital and they were already hitting her again. I bet they just couldn't wait.

  "I told you, Zoey," she cried. "You never should have saved me. This is all your fault".

  I was silent. Maybe it was really my fault. If I'd let her die, she'd probably be happy. But would I?

  I sure did feel guilty for probably having a hand in this, but if I were given a chance to go back in time, I'd do things the exact sane way I'd handled them. I mean... What kind of friend would I be if I let my best friend die?

  "I just wanted the pain to go away," she whispered in a fit of tears.

  I wordlessly took her hand and tended to her bruises.

  I felt sorry for her and hated seeing her like that. But there was really nothing anyone could do about it. Other than tend her bruises and help her cover up every trace of abuse. And so we all did.

  She cried throughout the night and I'd been too scared to hold and cuddle her. Scared of touching her bruises. Scared of hurting her even more.

  So I just laid there. Listening to her cry.