11 - Back

"Adrien." Gabriel stood in the doorway.

"Yeah?" Adrien asked.

He was playing piano again, trying his hands at some of the harder pieces he'd learned when he was younger. "It's nice to see you play. Just, next time, don't do it at five in the morning. I may be up, but you need to be sleeping." Gabriel said, checking his watch.

"Oh, okay. Sorry... how did you find out about that?" Gabriel had been on a business trip in Italy.

"I've got my ways." Gabriel said, raising his chin proudly.

"Why didn't you say anything earlier?" Adrien asked.

The incident had been nearly a week ago, and Gabriel had returned the same day it happened. "I didn't want to mention the piano." Gabriel said, glancing away.

"Oh." Adrien said, lifting his fingers from the keys.

"In other news... I've consulted the police."

"For what?"

"We're going to get your mother back."

---[-]---

Adrien insisted on driving. Gabriel had raised his eyebrows, but agreed nonetheless. He didn't regret it, exactly, but now the chauffeur sat in the back, arms crossed as he stared out the window, fuming.

Basically, Gabriel was afraid of the large man. "Where, where, where?" Adrien asked his father.

"Just follow the GPS." Gabriel said, almost rolling his eyes.

He would've, but he was just as excited. The drive took over a silent hour, and finally, on the outermost parts of Paris, they reached a clearing. "Adrien, get in the back." Gabriel commanded.

"Bu-"

"Sit in the back." Gabriel commanded. "You, come with me." Gabriel said, snapping.

The chauffeur stepped out of the car, letting Adrien and then shutting the door. Gabriel conferred with the man, pointing at the trunk. The burly man nodded before going to the trunk and pulling out several duffel bags.

Gabriel slid into the back seat with his son. "We just have to wait. They'll be here soon and then we'll have her back." He said, talking to himself.

"Dad, relax. It's almost over." Adrien said, putting a hand on his father's shoulder.

Gabriel nodded.

The squealing of tires diverted their attention to a shiny new sedan, pulling into the clearing and sprouting clouds of dust in its wake. The chauffeur stood his ground, watching three people come forward. The group was led by a woman, stalking towards their car. As the people shifted, another figure became clear, held by two men on either side. The figure had a bag over their head, and Adrien assumed the person was his mother. Anger bubbled in him, and nearly threw open the door to attack the people. Gabriel was growling next to him.

"I'll kill them." He hissed, turning to open the door.

Adrien grabbed his father's shoulder, effectively stopping him. "They'll get what's coming to them." Adrien assured him.

Gabriel nodded tersely. The men threw Mrs. Agreste to the ground. The chauffeur held out the bags.

The woman nodded with a smile, and took the bag. Adrien watched his mother be carried back to the car. Almost... Just a second more.

The door opened, and Mrs. Agreste was placed delicately into the car. They high-tailed it out.

"Mom?" Adrien tried slowly, pulling the bag off her head.