Chapter 57: Death and Life

"Charlotte," he whispered into my brain, causing me to murmur out a whine of hope.

They had wolfsbane me again, although after the witch who did it got in a hell of a lot of trouble. Dominic was right, they were onto me, which meant my clock was ticking.

I hadn't slept a wink, eaten anything, or had a thing to drink; but the drugs made me so tired and dehydrated–I would have killed for a glass of water.

"I heard Ethan," I whispered to Barrett. "I know I did."

He let out a shaky breath and nodded to me. "I think I heard Evie, but I'm not sure."

"What do we do?" I asked through my pants, pushing my sweaty hair out of my face.

"You behave," Dominic replied. "I saw a window when they took me to take some blood. There's a way out."

"We need to get her out," Blake said, his voice hoarse and crackly. "They will know soon enough."

Dominic groaned then looked over the Barrett who seemed to be pleading with him. "I need you to behave and keep your head down wolf, can you do that?"

I nodded to him. "What will you do?"

"Tell them to let you go. It's getting harder to compel, I think they upped our dosage," Dominic replied in a very matter-of-fact manner. "There's a window you can jump out of. We're not in the mountains, so it shouldn't be hard to get home. We'll send Braveheart over there with you."

Blake snarled at Dominic while Barrett rolled his eyes. "What about you two?" I asked.

"We can survive longer in here than you. They want our blood, whereas they want to kill you. You need to move before Dom is completely useless to us. Just go and send the others back for us," Barrett answered with a reassuring smile.

"Charlotte?" I looked over to Dominic who gave me a half smile while his eyes dilated. "Go to sleep."

When I woke Barrett was yawning while Dominic was leaning against his cell. I sat up, my head pounding while I looked over at him. "Why are you helping us? I feel like this isn't your style."

"Neither is war wolf, besides, Levi and Ethan are not so bad. I would prefer to not have a war though." Leaning back I nodded slightly to him, not entirely happy that his answer wasn't one that was coming from a better place, but at least he was helping me. "When I tell you, you and Blake will go. You don't look back. I think we are either on the first or basement level, so just slip out the window and run. Do not stop until you're with Levi or your mate, alright?"

"Alright," I breathed out before I looked at Blake. "What about the other wolves and you two?"

Dominic shook his head. "Too many and you need to be light."

"He's right," one in a dark corner said. "Don't worry about us. Just get home; Levi will find us. Kind of happy I get to stay and see that."

Murmurs of agreement and light laughter filled the air, causing me to weakly smile at the thought of Levi tearing into here. My wolf also whined at the thought–we missed our dad. After everything we just wanted our family by us so we knew that they were ok.

The metal door creaked open. Dominic looked at me with a soft smile before he winked. "Run hard wolf."

The witch walked in slowly; yawning to herself before she stopped in front of my crate. Before she could do anything Dominic cleared his throat. "Excuse me?" the woman flickered her eyes to his–a mistake. "You will let this woman out and the wolf across from her now, then return back to me."