Chapter 12: History Lesson

"The Nuclear War was one of the most vicious and deadliest wars in history." Ms. Ficklemann droned on.

  I tapped my pencil on my desk, boredom oozing from my pores.

  "Class, answer this one question if you can. What happened during The Nuclear War?"

  Her question was answered with silence, not a single hand going up.

  "During The Nuclear War, two decades ago, The Commonwealth was created. As you most likely already know, The USA was its previous name. There were continents such as Asia and Europe that were against the USA. They saw us as weak and powerless. They thought that our ideas and methods were ridiculous! But what brought us to the start of the horrendous war was when the first nuclear bomb was dropped in New York on December 12, 2020 by Asia. That was our last straw and we then prepared our best soldiers and created bombs so powerful, they wiped out states."

  I shuddered from the thought that we were once so evil minded.

  "People died, lives were destroyed. Those first set of soldiers that were sent to fight came back complete strangers. They no longer believed in what they fought for because what they had seen in the field was too much for them. "

  Sometimes I swear she taught history with a passion. I let out a sigh, and yawned loudly, expressing my lack of interest.

  "Their changed behavior then led to-- I'm sorry, Alma, am I boring you?" Ms. Ficklemann scolded me.

  I grimaced before I replied, "No, Ms. Ficklemann."

  "Mhm, okay, as I was saying before I was rudely interrupted," she glared.

  "Their changed behavior then led to them going against The Brotherhood. The soldiers were furious, blinded with rage and vengeance against The Commonwealth for what we had done to them. The Brotherhood then safely captured them and kept them in isolation. It was said that they were kept safely in a lab to run tests on their sudden outbursts of fury."

  My ears perked up at the subject of labs, now curious as to what happened to The Elementals. I knew that's what they were called now. It was said they had gone mad with desperation to end it all but then vanished. Everyone assumed they were killed until they came back without a scratch. Ever since then, they were called The Elementals due to their independence.

  "They were experimented on, scientists trying to figure out how to make them indestructible in order for them to go back into the war and to guarantee our victory but without their minds coming back even more damaged then it was when they first came back. Noone was told who the unfortunate soldiers were. Only The Brotherhood knew of their information and even then, they didn't know very much."

  I was holding in my breath, waiting for Ms. Ficklemann to finish her lesson so I could rush out before Alex.

  "The Elementals were what they were called. They had nothing, their families had died in the war and they lost themselves alongside them. They were made indestructible, went back into the war, and died. There were 5 and then there were none. But then something remarkable happened. They all came back seemingly unharmed and nobody knew why. Some say that they had come back from the dead. But only 2 remembered what had happened and what they had done, the rest forgot everything. It is said that they all reside in The Commonwealth instead of The Uncharted where they should have resided."

  I saw Alex raise his arm up high from the corner of my eye. Ms. Ficklemann called on him.

  "Yes, Alex."

  "What is The Uncharted exactly? Also what is it used for?"

  I mentally groaned at his question. Why did he have to ask that? Now the class would have to hear about The Uncharted. But I found myself leaning forward, paying extra attention to Ms. Ficklemann's answer.