The Tale of Raven Hood

I held the sinew steadily pulled back, the front of the bow at arm’s length. Taking a deep breath, I released the pressure as I exhaled. Laughter erupted through the crowd as the arrow whistled past the sheriff’s head, landing neatly above my picture in the middle of the word “WANTED” where it was written on a poster that was staked to a tree. The sheriff looked around wildly, dumbfounded.

 “I think she heard ye,” Friar Tuck called out with a hearty chuckle. Anger entered Sheriff’s dark chocolate eyes and a gleeful smile lit upon my face.

 “Nice one,” Little John whispered in my ear. I grinned at him, my green eyes bright as I tucked a lock of my light brown hair behind my ear. Tanned, slender, and tall, I’d been built for what I did. I got ready to go, gripping my bow tighter in my hand and drawing it to me.

 “Steal from the rich to feed the poor!” I shouted, sprinting away as Little John let out a whoop and followed. The others would be waiting by the river, and then we could plan out tonight’s mission. I ran through Sherwood Forest, my dark green cowhide pants clinging to my body and corset hidden by a smooth trench coat. My boots were light on my feet, made of leather and tight to my legs were they rose to my knee. My hair billowed out behind me in a loose braid, topped with a matching green hat. Little John towered over me to the left, exhilaration and joy obvious on his face as we returned.

 “Did you do it!?” Allan A Dale called to us as we came into view of the river, practically skipping through the woods.

 “She did! You shoulda seen his face!” Little John bellowed in reply. I reached the river to much praise and saluting as a crooked grin rose my cheeks.

 “Tonight, my friends, we shall stop the carriage of the ever-so-feminine Sir, err… Lady, Sir, whatever he is, Mark! He is arriving in Nottingham this evening to visit our dear friend, his cousin the Sheriff. He will arrive precisely at midnight, and so we will be waiting for him!” I declared. Shouts of glee rose from the ranks and I joined in, throwing a fist in the air triumphantly. This would be a night with meaning.

 “Shall we steal his clothes as well!?” A younger voice cried from the back. I was a seventeen year old outlaw, and there was only one person younger than me in our group of bandits: Will Scarlet.

 “We shall! More red silk for you!” I shouted in return, a grin on my face. A smile lit onto his as well.

 “Shall we steal more ale? We’re almost out, Raven!” Richard at the Lee reminded me.

 “We shall! We’ll drink till we can’t walk straight tonight, boys! But only after the deed is done,” I instructed, still smiling at them.

 “For now though, let’s get something to eat- I’m starving,” Little John pleaded. Being twenty-six, Little John had done little to deserve such a name- he was nearly seven feet tall, large in bone structure, and had beaten me in a fight the first day we met- a fight by quarterstaff, no less.

 “I hear you, Little John. What shall we eat tonight!?” I shouted, looking around.

 “For now, we shall dine on jerky and whiskey. Tonight, we shall dine finely on only the richest of foods!” David of Doncaster yelled in reply.

 “Only jerky and water, right now, boys- we need to put forth our best effort this evening, remember?” I commanded.

 “Your faith in us is heartbreaking,” Will Stutely replied, appearing jokingly pitiful.

 “That’s a lovely story. Now, where’s this jerky I’m hearing about?” Little John interrupted before I could say a word. Conversation grew around me, jokes flying, stories being told and laughter echoing through the trees we sat under. While the rest ate, I climbed an oak tree and sat in it with my bow. I was proud of the lot I’d gathered together- this was the best band of outlaws I could be associated with. I’d met plenty, and recruited most of them, but they were good nonetheless. Unlike most groups of outlaws, where they simply robbed and murdered for their own purposes, we stole from the rich and gave to the poor. On occasion, if we robbed someone a lot, we’d keep some of the bounty for ourselves. Though we all had a price on our heads, we were a confident bunch.