18

"Aw, man, I'm out!"

Naruto and Sasuke turn away from each other, drawn by the complaint from the boy across the room. Boruto is glowering down at the canister in his hand, shaking it uselessly as if that will eke out a little more paint. There's at least a quarter of the circular ward that hasn't been drawn yet.

Naruto rolls his eyes and makes a scoffing noise, like how he sounds when Konohamaru messes up Kakuremino.

"Amateur," he mutters, digging into his own pockets. He unloads his slingshot and a packet of instant ramen before finding what he was looking for. "Hey, Shrimp, heads up!"

Something sails across the room and is deftly caught by a surprised Boruto. Examining it, his eyes widen in surprise to realise it is a thick tube of paint.

"You carry paint around with you?" Sasuke questions, incredulous.

"Never leave home without it," he replies, and then says, "You never know if an opportunity will present itself."

There's a weird double timber, and he realises that the other blond boy said the exact same thing as him. The two Uzumakis exchange glances, and identical, mischievous grins appear on both their faces.

Sasuke pinches the bridge of his nose. "You carry around paint, but you couldn't grab a few more bandages before leaving on this mission?"

"Well...you know. Priorities."

"What is wrong with you?"

"Okay, you're good to go," Konohamaru announces, cutting off the inevitable argument. Kakashi gets to his feet, examining the new, pink skin across his abdomen. It's tender and itchy, but at least the wounds are closed. "Do you need a few minutes to prep, or...?"

"No. It won't make a difference. We should do this now." Kakashi motions for Naruto, Sasuke and Boruto. "Everyone get back. I don't want you anywhere near my line of vision in order to avoid accidents."

"Don't need to tell me twice," Naruto chirps.

With everyone standing close behind him, Kakashi takes a deep breath and focusses. With his Sharingan open and directing all of his chakra on a single point in the distance, he wills the layers of reality to ebb away from one another.

He feels the air in front of him shift, and sees the air ripple like a heat mirage, a prelude to the doorway he means to open.

However, after several laborious seconds of concentration, nothing happens.

"It's not enough," he says, and the tension leaves his muscles. "Damn it."

"I have an idea," Konohamaru says after a pause moment. "I mean, it might not be a really good one, but if it helps, hey."

"What is it?" Kakashi asks, weary.

"Naruto and Sasuke."

"Huh?" Both boys adopt expressions of confusion, while Kakashi is sceptical. However, Boruto brightens.

"Yeah! When Dad and Uncle Sasuke work together, they can do anything! I've seen it!"

Again, Naruto and Sasuke exchange expressions as if to ask 'he's talking about us?'. Those expressions turn to even more comical surprise when Kakashi nods in agreement.

"I know they work well together," he says, "but that doesn't mean they can affect my ability to open Kamui." He considers again then says, "Sasuke, maybe. There's a distinct undertone in my chakra because of the Sharingan, it could perhaps sync with his for an added boost. But even with the chakra replenishing patches he's used, he still isn't fully recovered. I don't think it would be enough."