Thitran

Twelve years later. King Yoban'na has conquered much of Country, but the heroes have yet to be found. Thera is captured and taken away as prisoner.

~~~~~

"Hey dude! Dude, can you hear me? Dude."

Thitran looked out of his window. His friend, Albe, stood outside, yelling loudly. As fast as he could, Thitran rushed to the living room, opened the door and jumped out.

"Did you wear earplugs or what?" Albe asked, in an impatient tone. "Remember we agreed to meet after noon at the river? After classes? You shouldn't have gone straight home..."

"Sorry," Thitran mumbled. His forgetfulness was a big problem, one that earned him many cane strokes from his teacher at school. "It won't happen again..."

Slapping him good-naturedly on the back, Albe laughed, "Don't worry, I'm not going to become mad any minute. I'm still your friend, you know."

"I know," replied Thitran. "Come on, let's go to the river now. I want to fish something and make Mother happy. You do too, right?"

"Yep," Albe agreed. "Do you think I can catch a big trout today? One that Theo caught the other day?"

"I don't think so," replied Thitran, "but you will catch a small one!"

Albe smiled. "Thanks. I hope so too!"

Without another word, the boys skipped off to the small river.

~~~~~

Agatha watched her son run off with Li's son. Their Clan had been raided by Empire armies a few years back, and Jonathan, a Clan warrior, had helped her escape with some other young children and Albe and Thitran.

Tragically, Li had not been fast enough and she was taken away, with Thera and Arel. Of the rest of the Clan, she did not know, for she was seeking safety in Clan of Leaping Winds, at the fringes of Country, furthest from Empire.

Everyone would have some time of safety here, though not for long, she knew...

~~~~~

"Hey, see what I got!" Albe yelled, enthusiastically tugging hard on his fishing rod. "After so long!" After wheeling the fish in, he let it thrash around on the ground. When it stilled, he picked it up gingerly and inspected it.

"It's a trout," Thitran said plainly, looking out at the river. "A small one though. I told you you would catch one." Taking his line in, he spoke, "Come on, pack up. Mother needs us soon at the house."

Albe shook his head stubbornly. Then, from the direction of their hut, came Agatha's shouts for all the children to go for tea.

Reluctantly, Albe packed his equipment and took his bucket along. He only caught one fish. Thitran caught two bigger trouts.

"Hey, wait, Thitran. How did you know I would catch a small trout? How did you know Mother was going to need us when she didn't call yet?" Albe asked suddenly.

Thitran stopped for a second, then continued walking. "Just a guess," he muttered. "And we were out long enough anyway. And it was almost time for tea. Mother always calls us at the same time everyday, so." He quickened his pace.

Mind filled with questions, Albe followed.