Chapter 11

"Did you meet Rick?" Keri asks while ducking an errant elbow as we navigate the dance floor. "He was a cutie."

"No, I was busy avoiding Rory," I roll my eyes and shout over the music.

"Yeah, why is he still hanging out in Auburn?" Keri shoves the metal bathroom door with a huffy sigh.

The ladies' room smells like no amount of vanilla air fresheners will ever cover the aroma of musty urine, but everyone was willing to brave the stink for a minute in front of the mirror.

Keri and I head to the furthest set of sinks to touch up our makeup (or in my case, to wash off any Rory cooties)

"Wait, who's Rick?" I squawk.

"He had a polo shirt and brown hair," she replies through a pout while reapplying her lipgloss.

"That literally describes every guy here," I complain.

"Ha!" Keri sticks her tongue out at my reflection. "So, what's new with Rory the asshole?"

"No clue," I shrug. "But I wouldn't be surprised if he's still dating Bianca. That's probably why he's here chasing tail in Auburn, just like he did back in high school."

Keri lets out a snorty-throat sound in agreement.

"Whatever, I'm just looking to get a few free drinks out of this," Keri nudges my shoulder playfully. "Just flirt with Rory's idiot friends a little and I'll bet we won't pay for a thing tonight."

"How about no?" I pretend to gag.

I did not want to spend my faux birthday with Rory and his smarmy friends.

I wanted to shake my bootie on the dance floor with my best friend. I wanted to feel powerful and sexy while occasionally Vogueing like a goofball. I wanted to forget all about Fitzwilliam Benedict and the crappy grade that's going to pull down my perfect average.

"Let's forget those chodes and dance," I plead.

"Fine," Keri relinquishes. "Can I at least finish my free drink?"

I consider her offer briefly and then do my best Keri impression, "Fine."

"Yay!" She grabs my hand and we leave the bathroom.

For a few excruciating minutes, I wait next to the table while Keri quickly finishes her Long Island Iced Tea in six big gulps. Her pupils are almost fully dilated by the time she's chugged the whole thing.

Then, she slams her glass down and we wave a hasty goodbye to Rory and his friends.

The Yella Beak might be a sweaty mess of a bar, but the music was fun and the bass was loud enough to shake the dancefloor.

At some point, Keri found a cute guy to dirty dance with while I flew solo nearby. It could have been Rick, but I wasn't about to introduce myself when they were pressed up against each other like animals in heat.

A little later, while we were trying to line dance to a popular county song Keri whispered something into her man friend's mop of brown hair.

"Birthday shots!" He shouted, pumping his toned arm in the air.

"Shots!" Keri hoots excitedly.

All three of us traveled back to the bar once again, but Keri let her beefy friend do the ordering this time.

While they were distracted, an unwanted body pressed against my backside as two arms locked around my waist.

"You really do look beautiful," Rory's baritone invades my ear.