Tip #5: Tell Them What They Want to Hear

The students are all crowded in the gym, bleachers and bleachers filled with voters, people that need to be won over. I'm nervously tapping my foot from my plastic chair on the stage as I read and reread my speech, praying the words won't sound hollow in the audience's ears. Trip is in the seat next to me, flirting with girls and carrying a loud conversation with his friends, who are in the front row of seats. I glare at him before going back to reading my speech. He's not taking this seriously and yet, he's still my biggest competition.

The principal brings the gym to attention and introduces the assembly. She asks each candidate to stand up when she calls their names. The first people to give speeches are the freshman candidates. They have no chance and they know it, but it's still admirable of them to try. The sophomore and junior speeches go down much the same way; the same empty phrases and nervous jitters that characterized the freshman speeches. Finally, it's time for the seniors to go. Trip is up first and goes to stand up at the podium to the sound of mounting cheers from the audience. He winks at a few girls and acknowledges some of the guys before beginning.

"I am honored to be standing up here in front of this beautiful crowd." He starts, the girls erupting in a cacophony of squeals. "It has been a dream of mine to run for the highest student office of this school since I was a freshman and I'm stoked that the time has finally come. Today, I'm told that I should present a plan, tell you what I would do as president, but let's be real: when have I ever had a plan?" Real confidence-booster right there... "I say we just have fun. We can figure things out as we go and you all can be a part of it. We'll have spirit days and parties and celebrations every day. We'll give life back to this school. We don't need rules or a schedule or a plan; we can make it up, that's the beauty of a democracy. We don't have to live by the precedent everyone else has set. Let's do this; vote Trip McCan and I promise you won't be disappointed. Thank you for your time." He waves and then sits down next to me with an amused grin.

"You have single-handedly made a joke out of this whole election. Congrats." I mutter and stand up, clutching my papers tightly. The principal gives me a look like she hopes I've come to save this assembly from anarchy. I set my speech down on the podium and look out at my audience, a smile spreading across my face. They look at me, some with encouragement and some with judgement. Riley is in the front row with the rest of my campaign team, a huge grin on his face, prompting me to begin.

"I don't want you to think I'm here because I'm forced to, because it's what's been expected of me, because I'm a legacy. I'm here because you all matter. All of you have complaints and concerns that deserve to be heard. I'm here because you all have rights that need to be honored in the walls of this school. I'm not here to make everything fun and games; I'm here to institute change. I'm here because we spend too much time at this school emphasizing Ivy League schools and sports' scholarships that many people with so much to offer are left behind. I'm here because the arts matter just as much as sports. I'm here because certain people consider themselves to be above others just by virtue of name or status." I take a deep breath before continuing.

"These things don't matter; beyond high school, your labels aren't going to matter. Where you sat at lunch isn't going to matter or who you hung out with on a daily basis. Why do these things matter so much now? Why do we judge each other? Why do we look down on people who are different from us? I'm here to change the attitude at this school. I'm here to make sure everyone has a voice. I'm here to make sure the things that matter to you are the forefront at this school. Vote for me, May Parker, a voice for the people. Thank you." I finish my speech and at least half of the crowd gives me a standing ovation. I give them a little bow and then take my seat next to Trip.

"Well played, May Parker. You even had me convinced for a second." Trip says, glancing at me with amusement.

"I'm just getting started, Trip McCan. You haven't seen the tricks I have up my sleeve." I smirk as the principal releases people to go vote.

~~~~~

A few hours have gone by and everyone is gathered back in the gym for the results. The principal asks all the candidates to stand up, so she can give them their fate. I fold my hands together, trying to stop them from shaking. My entire reputation is on the line and with Trip next to me, the pressure is on. I have to live up to my big talk; if I lost in the first round, I don't think I'd ever live it down. The principal lets the freshman candidates go; sadly, they didn't have enough votes to stand up to the others. Next, she announces the sophomore and junior candidates that made the cut. She then looks at me and Trip; she smiles and announces that we both made it through.

"Congrats, May." Trip says, holding out his hand for me to shake.

"Happy to be able to torture you some more." I reply, shaking it firmly.

"You know you can't promise them half the things you said in your speech, right?"

"Neither can you; a school with no rules? What kind of world do you live in?" I chuckle, letting go of his hand. "Anyway, people always vote for things that can't be promised because they like the sound of it. I mean, how do you think half of our presidents got elected?"

"Touche." He smirks before walking off stage to join his friends. I follow him down and find Riley, who's applauding me from the front row.

"You were brilliant." He says, flipping through his campaign clipboard. "The audience seemed to love you and I've consulted with the vote counter; apparently you came in second to Trip, but that's nothing we can't fix. This was a great start, May."

"I came in second to Trip?" I ask incredulously. Riley gives me a guilty look and nods with a sigh.

"I've come up with a plan to figure out why, though. I have the voter email list and we're going to send out a poll to figure out which social group it is that you need to work on. Don't worry; we'll dethrone the king." Riley reassures as we leave the gym with the rest of my campaign team.

"I'm not doubting that." I smirk as we slip into my car and drive towards my house for another long night of campaign planning.