Chapter 9

When they finally returned home Uncle Richie told them to meet him at the same spot tomorrow. They both nodded and said goodbye. When Rae got home she saw her mother, Keli'i, and her siblings all sitting down in the living room. "Where have you been young lady?" her parents said together. "I was working...I got a job as the night guard." Rae said. Rae's parents looked at each other and then nodded. "You met Uncle Richie didn't you?" Alana said. Rae was surprised and gave a little nod.

The whole night Rae told her parents how she met Uncle Richie and how he offered her to be his apprentice. Her parents didn't say a word, they just kept nodding. "He wants me to meet him again tomorrow for our next part of training...can I go? Rae asked hesitantly. Her parents hugged her and told her to be careful and that they love her. Rae was shocked to hear their response. She thought that they would ground her for life. She hugged them back and said, "I love you guys too."

The next day Rae woke up and smelled something delicious. She got dressed and packed all of her gear and went downstairs. When she looked in her kitchen she saw that her mother was making her favorite, chocolate chip pancakes. She looked to her left and saw Ava sitting down waiting for her piece. "Yo took you long enough." Ava said while taking a sip of orange juice. Rae's mother looked at Rae and gave her a warm smile. "Your father dropped your sister and brother off to school. When he comes back we will drop you and Ava off." her mother said. Rae nodded and sat down. After they finished eating, they all packed their stuff and headed out. When they got to the meeting spot Rae and Ava saw Uncle Richie's face go from joy to absolute terror. They turned to their left and saw Rae's mother with the look of the Grim Reaper. Even they got scared. "H-Hey s-sis?" stuttered Uncle Richie. "Hey bro." Rae's mother lashed her arms at his shirt collar and started shaking him. "What the hell were you thinking? Asking my daughter to go out there. How long were you planning on not telling me this? You are lucky that this fence is protecting you." Rae and Ava stood back and watched in terror. After one last shake Rae's mother pulled him close and told him something that send shivers down their spines. "If my daughter and Ava come back with one scratch on them, I will make sure that I am the face you wake up screaming to everyday." Uncle Richie nodded and she released him.

She turned to the girls and gave them one last hug. "Have fun girls." she said. "We will." they replied. Then they hopped their fence and followed Uncle Richie into the forest. Rae's mother watched them until she couldn't see them anymore. She looked up to the sky and whispered,

"Honey...please keep them safe."