Prologue

Screams and laughter followed two little kids around the house, toy swords in the hands of the boy, and a large dragon mask on the head of the girl. She ran around the coffee table before stopping and twirling around to lunge at the boy with a loud roar. The two fell to the ground in giggles and wrestled, the mother who had been watching from the kitchen simply stared in confusion before smiling at them, once again, they were running around the house. Nixon raced out of the front door and leaped off the porch, coming to a halt and pointing his foam sword back to the ferocious beast. She slowly crept down the stairs as she stocked her pray, head low and large smile hidden behind the mask. They circled each other slowly before they let out courageous battle cries and charged one another, colliding in giggles and simply falling to the ground. Their joy lasted for a short moment longer before the wary chatter and the looming shadow of a dog sized creature alerted them, the two jumped their feet and stared, then laughed again as the little dragon looked at them fearfully. It's bright silver eyes were wide as he looked at the mask the girl wore, and darted between the sword in the boy's hand.

"Awe, Ventus! I wouldn't hurt you!" Nixon cried, dropping the sword and running up to the silver blue dragon to trap it in a hug. A few confused warbles left the scaly creature before it's four orange tipped wings encased the human. The girl began giggling as she was taken down by a pastel purple and black dragon, unlike Nixon's dragon however, this one couldn't quite encase the girl like him. It was much thinner than it's four winged counterpart, and had sharper features. The four raced back inside the house and all stood around the counter where the boy's mother sat, all staring at her with pleading gazes in silence. The woman let a gentle smile creep onto her face before she started wandering around the kitchen in search of snacks. They all waited patiently for their plates and then huddled around the TV, the dragon's gnawing down a small chicken leg, while the two kids quietly ate grilled cheese sandwiches. The dramatic cartoon of superhero's held all the young eyes captive as it played. The phone began to ring, the woman quickly picking it up and an over joyful squeal emitted from her, causing the kids to turn and stare at her.

"Oh yes, we're doing okay out here, how's the case going?" She spoke, losing the kids interest as they turned back to their show.

"Yes, they're always so easy to take care of, always so quiet" She continued, smiling over at the two. A few assuring mhmm's and curt yeah's followed suit before her expression softened into a melancholy gaze.

"Oh of course, you know I can always keep her for the night" She smiled, gaining the kids attention once more, they shared a look before jumping to their feet and leaping onto the couch to see what's happening. This earned a small chortle from the lady before she accepted a few more errands and hung up the phone.

"I guess you're staying the night, Trinity" she smiled, earning a squealing giggle from the girl and endless plans of the night began to fill the room. The mother laughed and then went to alert her husband of the news.

The night went on slowly, Nixon's dad coming home with fast food and fun food, along with a small bag of the girl's clothes for her. Then they spent some time running around the front yard, chasing their dragons and each other, eventually finding a spot of clearing to watch the colourful sky slowly darken. The endless space of wide meadows and tall trees always had the two minds racing for adventure, every noise, every flutter of leaves sparked curiosity from the two active imaginations. Returning home was no easy task for them, despite their dragons pulling on their clothes in attempt to bring them home, stars began to sparkle into existence and the night dwelling animals began to lurk. But, eventually the two made it back to the house, the boy's parents steps away from the porch before they realized they could cancel their search. Annoyed relief left the two before they brought the children inside and helped them into their night wear, then tucked them into bed and waited for the giggling to stop before they themselves went to sleep.