Chapter 1: Part 3 - Ava

My parents allow me to use the car for my first official day of work. Naturally I head into town to get doughnuts because who wouldn't? I park in the small lot of a bakery that's been around longer than I've been alive— I think longer than my parents have been alive—and head inside.

On the menu I spot my favorite kind of doughnut from before I left island. A chocolate filled doughnut with strawberry icing and vanilla sprinkles on top. I order one for me and one for my uncle, and with my doughnuts stuffed into a brown little bag clutched tightly between my fingers and my bank account a little smaller, I turn from the counter and feel heat rush up to my cheeks. There at the back of the line is the guy I dated all throughout high school. Lee Wilkins. The boy I was in love with, but the boy who didn't support me leaving the island for Tessa/Sylvia which by connection was him not supporting my dreams. He didn't support me, and therefore, needless to say, our breakup was rough.

His eyes are on the menu, but I've been staring too long, and he must get that hair raising feeling on the back of his neck, because he drops his eyes from the board to me.

"Ava?"

I haven't heard him say my name in years, but that summersault feeling in my stomach is there at hearing it.

"Hey, Lee."

His Adam's apple moves up and down. "I didn't know you were back."

I roll the end of the brown paper bag tighter. "Yeah, I got back yesterday. How are you?"

The current customer at the cash register, finishes paying and leaves, and Lee takes a step forward in line.

He scratches the back of his neck while his eyes light up. "I accepted a job on the environmental outpost offshore. I'm sure you've heard of it."

Oh is all that wants to come out of my mouth, but I swallow it back down. "I've heard of it. Some of my friends from university even applied there for jobs but didn't make the cut. So congratulations. When do you leave?"

"Two days."

Clearly we weren't meant to get back together.

Think of something positive to say. . . "I'm sure the ocean will be pretty to look at with the sun sparkling off of it. You'll have a panoramic view. You'll be surrounded by some of the most brilliant minds of this century. I might be slightly jealous."

Nodding, he pulls out his wallet. "I'm really excited, Ava. You know I love bio. That's going to be my life now. So how was the university?"

My fingernails dig into the paper bag to hide their shaking. "It was really good. It was everything I hoped it would be. I'm actually back working with my uncle."

"Drones, right?"

I smile. I never shut up about them. "You know it." I jerk my thumb toward the door. "Speaking of my uncle, I should probably get to work. It was really nice seeing you again, Lee."

He flinches slightly. "You too."

I sidestep toward the door. "I hope your job will be everything you hope it will."

He steps up to the counter and lifts his hand in a goodbye. "I wish the same for you, Ava."