Ch.12 Trouble

You and me got a whole lot of history

We could be the greatest team that the world has ever seen

You and me got a whole lot of history

So don't let it go, we can make some more, we can live forever

___________

But the second he heard a loud cry in the distance, his heart lurched in his chest. Jumping down the tree house, Maddox followed Ava's scent. When the smell of her blood overpowered Maddox's scenes, he ran even faster.  Spotting her beautiful blonde curls, Maddox kneeled at Ava's side, as the girl laid on her stomach, four hunting arrows lodged deep into her back.

Maddox growled loudly in anger and worry at the sight of his wounded mate. Who would dare hurt her? Struggling to keep calm Maddox listened for an enemy, but was greeted with a dangerous silence.

Maddox leaned closer to Ava and pushed her blonde curls from her face, yelling for help. As Maddox waited for someone to come, he could feel the frustration building up within him. Ava wasn't responding and it wasn't like he could check for a heartbeat or a pulse. The only thing that kept him sane in that moment, was the fact that he still felt their mate bond intact.

Deciding that help was taking too long, Maddox carefully pulled the arrows out with shaky hands. The tips of the arrows were laced with a inky black liquid that burnt Ava's flesh like acid as he pulled them out. Gritting his teeth, he hurried to put pressure on the open wounds with his shirt. Her blood was leaking through his shirt within seconds and Maddox swore he would kill whoever harmed Ava.

Lifting her with gentleness and care, Maddox held Ava close to his chest as he hurried in the direction of the pack house.

Life seemed to be playing a cruel trick on them, constantly laying stones in their way. They didn't deserve any of it.

Reaching the pack house, Maddox's grunted at the thought of their pack being under attack. Yet, the thought quickly disappeared when Maddox realized that there would have been more commotion.  And so far the forest had been silent.

Busting through the front door, Maddox steadied Ava in his arms again, which had quickly became difficult with the steady blood flow from her wounds that wetted his hands. Maddox nearly ran Silas over, as he hurried to the hospital rooms on the second floor.

"What happened?!" Silas yelled worriedly at the sight of his sister, in Maddox's arms.

"Call Remy and tell Roman to hold a pack meeting. The pack might be in danger." Maddox growled out, pushing his way into the hospital area of the house, leaving Silas in the hall.

"Where's Mike?" Maddox, asked the tiny nurse referring to the pack doctor.

The small she wolf, stared at Maddox and then Ava, her face flushed. "... At  h-h..home."

Maddox gently laid Ava down onto the last hospital bed, closest to the window, before pulling the privacy curtain closed. Turning around he stalked over to the nurse and pushed his phone in her hands. "Call him and tell him if he isn't here in the next five minutes, I'll rip out his spine with my bare hands."

Giving the nurse another threatening look, he watched with angry eyes as she moved to the other end of the room and called the doctor with a hushed voice.

Satisfied just a little, Maddox walked over to the supply cabinet and pulled out all types of gauzes he could find. Rushing back to Ava, Maddox removed his bloodied shirt from her body and began to patch up the wounds as best as he could.