Chapter Three: Last Lesson

I jumped out of my dads truck and ran into Big Star Ranch's barn, my trainers barn and where i kept Hotrod and Lefty.

"Lilly! Lilly!"

"You ok Amber?" Lilly asked with a joking smile.

"Yes!" I said grinning! I couldn't wait to tell Lilly! "My dad changed his mind, I can keep Lefty and Hotrod!"

"What!!! I'm so happy for you Amb!!" Lily said smiling "I'm gonna go get my horse".

Lilly and I talked about Canterwood Crest Academy while she tacked up her mare named Girls Got Rhythm, but we all called her Shorty because she's short and chunky.

I walked down the wide main isle on the right side of the barn, looking at the perfectly polished wood stalls and taking in the smell of fresh shavings.

I stopped when I reached Hotrods stall to get him out.

Hotrod, my 6 year old 15.3 hand chestnut gelding with a star, strip, snip and a coronet on his front left, registered quarter horse just like Lefty and his registered name is Keepin Chips.

Lefty's 15.1 hands, but he's a 7 year old bay roan with a brown head, white star, black legs with a black mane and tail, and a cute little Branding mark on his left hip.

Hotrod's my guy for horsemanship, western riding, showmanship, and trail, and sometimes western pleasure, while Lefty and i do Ranch riding and stuff, reining, cutting, and every once in a while, break away roping and team roping.

Lilly and I talked while we worked on our flying lead changes before my dad came back to pick me up.

Lilly and I had separate lessons with our trainer, jake, throughout the week, but we rode together when we had the chance.

"I'll see ya tomorrow!" I hollered at Lilly as I climbed into my dads GMC.

That night I didn't even remember my head hitting the pillow. I'd slept great for the second night in a row!

For the past couple weeks I'd had trouble sleeping because I was worried I'd have to sell my horses and I was stressed about winning reining at the AQHYA world show. But now that my dad was going to let me keep them, I'd been way less stressed.

I flung open my closet doors. I put on my Ariat riding jeans, with my floral tooled leather belt with turquoise rhinestones and a belt buckle from a Merial AQHA Regional Championship show along with a pink and white striped tank top and my favorite pair of Justin boots.

I ran down the stairs with my spurs clinking behind me.

20 minutes later I was at Big Star Ranch for my last lesson with jake before I left for Canterwood.

Jake and I walked towards Lefty's stall.
I grabbed Lefty's dark blue nylon halter and secured it onto his head.

"I'm gonna miss you guys" i said as I led Lefty towards the cross ties.

"Don't worry, we won't miss you at all" Jake laughed.

I turned around and lightly punched his arm as I laughed with him.

"Ya know I'm joking"

But It was true, I was really going to miss Jake and the team.

We'd all been together through so many ups and downs.

like when Ally fell of her horse and broke her back, or when I had knee surgery and when my mom died, and when Mia's dad was in a car accident and was in the hospital for weeks.
Our team definitely didn't have the best luck.

Or even when Jake broke his wrist and couldn't ride. We'd all pitched in and gave lessons to the littler kids and everyone who wasn't on the show team. we'd even worked with the horses he had in training so that he didn't lose money while he recovered. we were all there for each other, and we always would be, no matter how far apart we were.

We all acted as if we were siblings, even jake.
We'd all argue over stupid things, but at the end of the day, we were each others second family.

"So, after today you're just gone then?" Jake asked me.

I frowned, the reality of it all starting to sink in... I was leaving, and I wouldn't be back until summer, except for a few holiday breaks in between.

"Ya, I guess so" I replied "but i won't pick up Lefty and Hotrod until Thursday at 6, which is when we leave"

Tears started to creep out of my eyes.
No, I couldn't cry, I had to put on a game face. I told myself. I could do this.

Jake looked at me, I could tell by the look in his eyes that he felt bad.

Great... just what I needed, people to feel sorry for me. Ugh!

Jake reached over and grabbed Lefty's bridal from my hands "hey, things happen for a reason, you are gonna kick butt at this school and show those snobby jumpers how Jake Bryan Training does it!"

Even when Jake was kind of joking, he kept a straight face, which I could never do.

I let out a laugh.

My last lesson on Lefty went great. Jake taught me a bunch of things to do with Lefty without him being there.

Jake put away Lefty while I got out Hotrod so We could do one last lesson on Hotrod too.

That night I group chatted all my friends, which meant I messaged my show team, since I spent so much time at the barn and at shows, my only friends were my teammates.

Amber: so...I had my last lessons today and I'm leaving for Canterwood Thursday @ 6am :(. I wanna say bye to u guys, so if u can (Ik its early) come we could say bye.
Lilly: of course I'll b thr!
Mia: see ya@6 :)
Luke: I'll check w my dad:)
Adam: see u @6
Kacey: ill b thr
Ash: I'll b thr to say bye
Luke: yep I asked my dad, Ill make it!
Amber: glad all u guys can make it! See ya@6 :)
Lilly: bye! Luv u Amb

I had the best friends in the world! Every single one of them was gonna be there to say goodbye.

I was gonna miss them so much!