Destination

Waking from his night's sleep, Ernest lay for a time in his bed, soaking his body in the weariness that still clung to him and experiencing, without attempting to make sense of them, a peculiar mix of emotions – elation at having survived the last two days with mind intact mixed with a sense of loss that he would not be going straight back in again. Anticipation, too, for the surprises their destination promised and what he might find on rising.

What he found first of all was that Ernest, the original older one, was still in his cabin, presumably still asleep. No doubt his own youthful body gave him an edge of vigor. Moving through to the saloon, he realized he was free of the characteristic stuffiness and detachment that had so enveloped him prior to sleep. He was tired, true, but it was the hearty tiredness of early morning. He felt like an intact person once more, like a regular human being.

He paused at the entrance. Gina was alone in her customary position on the couch, a tablet abandoned beside her, her face angled away, staring at the blank wall display as if caught in a loop of introspection. She showed no awareness of his presence. Ernest took advantage of this unguarded moment, captured a snapshot of memory and wondered if it offered a less filtered view of who she really was. He still felt a frustration – his inability to satisfy himself as to the degree of her guilt in his kidnapping. The way she treated him was both friendly and polite, but was politeness a cover for complicity? Or did it mean nothing more than that she had been well brought up? On the days prior to his other self's arrival he had made a point of observing her interactions with The Capt'n, seeking clues but discovering only that the pair kept each other at a wary distance. On balance, Ernest decided, this was a point in her favor. Then again, it wasn't as if they would plot their conspiracies in his hearing – so hardly conclusive either.

Ernest cleared his throat. "You're still here? I thought you would have gone down to the planet by now."

She looked confused for a moment, then smiled. "Of course, you slept through all the excitement. We surveyed the planet. It's human-viable, but there's nothing there. No evidence of past habitation. Instead what we've found is another way station in orbit. An alien derelict, like Miramar. Where we, er ..."

"Where I was presented with an opportunity to graciously accept your hospitality?"

"Um, yes." Her face was fully alive again now. "Well anyway, we found another one just like it, orbiting the planet. The Capt'n and David have gone across to explore."

"You didn't join them?"

"I thought I'd wait. Didn't want you two waking up to find the place deserted."

"Worried perhaps we might change our minds? Take the ship and make a run for home?"

"You wouldn't do that."

"Wouldn't I? If your brother wasn't over there with him I might well be tempted."

She smiled, treating his words as a joke. "I've spent these last few days watching over you. I just wanted to finish the job. I thought I owed you that much. You know – as part of that gracious hospitality deal."

Listening to her words, Ernest could feel his lips stretching into an involuntary smile. His anger had all but dissolved. What's happening to me, he wondered? I haven't even had my coffee yet, but here I am chatting away.

He went across to the galley to remedy the deficit. "You want one?" he asked as he inserted a capsule into the machine.

She nodded. Waited while Ernest fussed about, brought the two mugs across to where she was seated, took the seat next to her.