Invitation

"I don't think you're a witch, I know you're a witch,"

She paced back and forth in the room she was sharing with Abby her mind replaying the recent events. She, Carina Alexis Black was a witch. A witch. She didn't understand how this was real, but apparently it was. She'd seen Abby preform magic before her very eyes.

"It could be nothing," she muttered to herself. "They could be witches, but I'm just a normal human. Just normal human Carina."

"You're far from human Miss Black." A deep voice spoke up causing the girl to jump out of her skin in surprise as she hurled the nearest thing at the male in her window, which just happened to be one of Abby's copies of Harry Potter.

The cloaked male swiftly caught the book grinning widely showing his pearly whites in the process. He was still dressed the same as the last time she saw him. His black clothes helped him blend into the night so easily, he had basically become a part of it.

"What are you doing in my room?!" She questioned, but it came out as more of a hiss.

"Easy kitten," he raised a gloved hand. "I'm just here to re-introduce myself to the newbie."

"Newbie?"

"Welcome to the supernatural world love. We are the monsters in the shadows, the things that go bump in the night. Isn't that exciting," he gave her a small smirk.

"You're not really selling it," Carina shrugged, "What's your name again?"

He released a small sigh, "Demetri, and you are Carina, recently discovered grey witch."

"Well Demetri, you obviously don't know all that much about human etiquette, but normal people use the door." She pointed to the door on the other side of the room to make her point. "Now if you would so kindly go away, I'd like to brood on my own."

"True, then again neither of us are human," he grinned again.

"You're a little weird, please leave."

"Oh I will, I do have other things that need attending to." He stood to his full height and prepared to vanish out the window again.

"Wait," she called out rethinking the words he said to her. "You said us," she frowned, "you're not human."

"Yes. You can sense it Carina."

"Why did you really come?"

He nodded to the Harry Potter book that he had placed on the shelf near the window. She hadn't noticed the white envelope he had left on top.

Carina frowned slightly zeroing in on the envelope, her name written on the top in the most perfect old fashioned handwriting she'd ever seen.

"Wh-" she began looking to the window only to notice the man, Demetri was gone, allowing the cool night breeze to move the curtains in his absence. "Creepy dude." She shrugged picking up what he had left for her.

*****

"Sister," Alec said as he fell into step beside her.

"A grey witch Alec. A grey witch." She kept repeating as she strutted around the castle.

"I was there when it was announced." He replied sarcastically earning an annoyed glare.

"You know what this means though."

"She is a danger, I am aware, but she is also young so she will be relying on instinct."

"And if her instinct says to burn all vampires to the ground?" His twin added.

"Well Demetri's still alive so I doubt that's what her instincts are saying." He shrugged entering the elite guard's wing of the castle. He took a seat at an old oak table while opening the book he had left there previously. His eyes skimmed over the old Latin text as his twin took the seat opposite him.

"There hasn't been a grey witch since us and her, so why now?" Jane questioned looking over her own book.

"There must be something." Alec continued to search as one of his coven mates entered. It was the tracker, back from visiting the witch Carina.

Alec took a deep breath savouring the scent that clung to the male. It was like nothing he'd ever experienced before but a thousand years of control allowed him to keep a schooled look on his face.

"So the little grey witch has let you live. That's unfortunate." Jane comments with a smug grin.

"How so darling Jane? I'm the only interesting thing around." He replied not even a little put off by her comment as he settled into a comfy couch throwing his feet up onto the coffee table. Their relationship was weird, but the twins regarded him as an older sibling, even though they were technically older and more powerful, Demetri and Felix were the only other guards that the pair could tolerate.

Hazelnut, Cinnamon and hints of Rose assaulted Alec's senses and he held his breath to keep from lashing out. "Did she respond to the invitation or were you your weird and mysterious self and did not await an answer?" Alec asked not bothering to look up.

"She'll come," Demetri replied, "she's too curious not to."

"Do you think the Milana will allow her to attend?" Jane inquired.

"Of course not, even Lucinda would be against this, but she'll come. Call it a gut feeling." The male replied his red wine gaze flickering to them. "When's dinner arriving?"

"Heidi left about an hour ago." Felix commented. "She was asking for you."

"I was busy." Demetri shrugged.

As the guards talked Alec fought the need to follow the scent. It was driving him slightly insane, his eyes darkening as it continued to hound him. His desire to consume the scent in every way was dangerous. He wanted to attack Demetri, and get him to tell him where the scent was, for all Alec knew it could've been the trackers last meal. He hated the thought of someone taking what belongs to him.

"Alec!" The calm stern voice spoke and he glanced up at his sister who was giving him a concerned look. He glanced down to where his fingernails had dug grooves into the wooden table then back to his sister.

"Excuse me," he rose and headed for the door.

"Alec," Jane repeated asking a silent question as Demetri and Felix both watched unsure by their coven mate's behaviour.

"I'm fine sister, I just need some fresh air to clear my head." He gave a lopsided grin that did nothing to the reassure the occupants of the room. They'd known Alec for centuries, it was hard to hide anything from them. "Truly, I'm perfectly fine."