Chapter 11: The Battle

"Here they come," I mumbled. I knew they were coming, I could feel it. It was like if the Nature itself told me. Everything just felt wrong.

I pushed my way through the crowd, trying to find Edmund. I knew he was in front of everyone, that fool. I wanted him far back, like... in England. I was really scared for him and Peter.

I guess they're just as scared for me as I am for them. I really don't want them to get hurt. And they don't want me to get hurt, so I guess that's why they forbid me to come here. Well, I did anyways. And it's nothing they can do about it now.

"Edmund!" I said when I reached him.

"Emily! What are you doing here?" Edmund said.

"I'm going to fight," I said. It's not like he can force me to go away from here.

"Em, it's too dangerous!" Edmund said.

"I don't care! I want to help! If you're here, then I'm here with you," I said.

"It's nothing to do about it now," Mr Beaver said. "She's all prepared for it, so why not let her stay?"

Edmund sighed and I looked at Mr Beaver. I understood that he knew about the other prophecy, the one about me. And he was right, I was prepared for it. I was even dressed like the other women that fought. I got help from a female centaur down in the camp. My hair was braided and I was wearing a tunic and a pair of trousers, just like a boy. I can't fight in a dress.

From up here, I had a great view of the whole battlefield. And our army seemed very tiny against the grey mass of creatures on the other side of the field. I gasped.

"Oh my god," I whispered. I felt the fear in the air around me. I think that everyone that isn't scared is just foolish.

I looked down and saw that Peter was looking up at us. Edmund nodded. Both of them seemed just as scared as I was. Peter drew his sword and our army made themselves ready for the battle. I watched the Witch's army. I think it was her in the middle, in the carriage. It stood still as her army went forward around her.

Our army, however, was standing completely still. I saw that the soldiers down there wanted to move forwards, and I wondered why Peter didn't let them. Is this a trick he has planned? Edmund drew his sword too.

When the Witch's army was halfway over the field, I was genuinely worried. Was Peter insane? Why didn't he let our army attack? Is he going to kill us all?

Okay, I take back all that. He isn't insane, I thought. He must have something planned. As I thought that, I heard something above me. I looked up and saw an army of giant birds with stones in their claws.

"Are they... griffins?" I asked as they begun to drop their stones at the Witch's army.

"Yes, they are," a female centaur behind me said. She smiled at my confused face.

"But I thought they only existed in fairy tales," I said.

"In your world, maybe. Here in Narnia, your fairy tales is reality," she said and concentrated on the battle again. Some of the griffins had been shot down by arrows from the Witch's army, and the rest of them flew away. The real battle was about to begin.

"For Narnia! And for Aslan!" Peter shouted. I could barely hear it from up here. Our army moved forward with Peter and Orius in the front. I wanted to go down there and help them so badly, but Edmund took my hand.

"Em, you stay up here!" he said and looked me in the eyes.

"But..."

"Don't you think I want to be down there too? Don't you think I am just as worried as you are?" he said. "Please, stay here, otherwise I don't know if I can make it."