T W E N T Y- E I G H T

Payton Arizona

"So Payton, will you be my girlfriend?"

"Jackson, I- I-" I struggled to find the right words to say. My mind seemed to shut down as I was dumbfounded by Jacksons sudden question.

"I don't- Jackson, I can't, I'm so sorry." I finally whispered. I pushed my way past him and quickly ran out of the room. I held back my tears as I pushed the button and waited for the elevator to open.

It seemed like years before the elevator doors finally opened and I stepped into the empty car. I heard the ding of the bell as the car reached the ER and I forced my legs to walk out of the car.

"There she is!" I heard a woman's voice say. I whirled around and saw Jo and Stephanie both coming toward me. "Come with me." Jo said and grabbed me by the wrist and dragged me down the hall to where Hunt was standing.

Why did you give Payton Attendings privileges? Jo demanded.

"Pardon me?" Hunt looked at Jo with a shocked expression.

"Attendings privileges. You let Payton order labs in her name and give orders. Hell, Payton did a C-section on her own." Edwards fumed.

"You did a C-Section?" Hunt turned to me.

"That's not the point!" Jo raised her voice. "The point is that you gave Payton Attendings privileges. She's like 10 years old for gods sake! If anything, Edwards and I were more equipped to have a leadership position."

"Wait, what does my age have to do with anything?" I whirled on Jo, finally getting a word in.

"You're a baby practically. You shouldn't be trusted to take the lead on a surgery by yourself." Edwards nodded in agreement.

"Trusted? I have more OR time than both of you combined and my cases aren't petty things like appy's."

"So what you did one clef palette repair? And you got lucky with that aortic repair."

"That aortic repair was done with skill not luck. Plus I also rebuilt and entire nose, and Pierce invited me to scrub in on a boy with dextrocardiac situs inversus. So don't even play the age card with me, cause experience wise, I kick your asses."

"We all know that the only reason you get to scrub in on all of those surgeries is because your dating one of the owners of the hospital and the person whose grandfather has an award named after him." Jo spat at me. Stephanie nodded her head and gave me a smug look.

"Jackson and I are just friends. Besides everyone knows you're screwing Alex and Edwards is just bitter cause Jackson dumped her." I spat back. Jo scoffed and Edwards rolled her eyes. I could tell that neither of them had anything else to say and Hunt had just been an innocent bystander in all of this, so I turned on my heel and stormed off.

--

I settled myself in an on-call room for the night. I knew that I'd be stuck sleeping on the hospitals lumpy mattresses for the foreseeable future because I couldn't exactly go home. Jackson and I shared a bed at night and I'm sure that would be pretty awkward right now. Like, 'Hey I just rejected you and then ran out the door but let's sleep in a bed together.' Yeah, I don't think so.

I took off my itchy scrub top and got under the blankets, turning in for the night.

I was awoken by somebody softly calling my name and shaking my shoulder. I sat bolt upright in the bed and came face to face with DeLuca. Him and I had become pretty decent friends since I beat the shit out of him on my twentieth birthday.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. You were crying in your sleep." He told me, sitting down on the bed next to me.

"Did I wake you up? God, I'm so sorry." I rubbed a hand over my face.

"It's fine. I'm just worried about you. Are you alright?" He asked.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine." I insisted.

"I don't think you are. You're half naked in an on call room, crying in your sleep. That doesn't exactly scream 'okay'." He said. I looked down at my bare stomach and remembered that the only thing I was wearing on the top half of my body was a black bralette.

"Oh god!" I yelped and scrambled to cover myself with the sheets. "I didnt realize I was-"

"It's fine." DeLuca chuckled. " I've seen a bra before." I huffed out a breath and collapsed back onto the bed, my legs hanging off the side. DeLuca laid back next to me and we sat in silence for a little bit.

"So, are you gonna tell me what's wrong?" He asked breaking the silence.

"I've just had a shitty ass day."

"No, you can't just say you've had a bad day. You have to tell me why, you have no choice."

"Lets see. Well to start, I almost killed Meredith Grey. Then Jackson asked me out and I freaked and said no then ran out the door. Then there was also the situation where Wilson and Edwards were complete jealous bitches because I got Attending privileges. I feel like I'm missing something. Oh yeah! And I'm stuck on this shitty mattress for probably the rest of my life because I'm avoiding Jackson."

"Why don't you just go sleep at home? I mean you don't actually have to talk to Jackson." He asked.

"It's kinda hard not to talk to Jackson when you sleep in the same bed as him." I said, throwing my arm over my eyes. 

"You share a bed with Jackson?" DeLuca looked puzzled.

"Yeah. I get these things called night terrors. They're basically just really vivid nightmares, it's super embarrassing. But having someone else there when you fall asleep helps with them."

"Is that why you were crying when I walked in?" He asked.

"Yeah. It must not have been a bad one though. Usually I scream till I can't breathe and claw at my face till it bleeds." I shrug.

"You say it like it's no big deal." DeLuca observed. "You really are a strong woman you know that? And again I'm sorry about what happened between us a while back. I was an ass."

"DeLuca, you've already apologized a million times. I told you it's not a big deal, it happened and now it's over with." I reassured him. We talked more and more as the night went on and the last thing I remember was falling asleep next to DeLuca.

Does anyone ship Payton and DeLuca??