Prologue

Long before my huge infatuation with Ben Hidalgo, there was Jake Madrigal. Tall, ruggedly handsome, mean-looking Jake. I had my eyes on him the moment he walked inside our classroom during the first day of our junior year--almost everyone had their eyes on him and his fitted black shirt, dark jeans and leather boots. I was thankful we were not required to wear uniforms during our first day of classes. Otherwise, I wouldn't get that rare chance to see his broad shoulders and flat stomach.

It wasn't hard to learn more about Jake by the time the dismissal bell rang that day. As a new and attractive guy in school, girls were quick to gossip about how his father had to donate a huge amount of money to Luna East Arts Academy's Student Assistance Fund so he could be accepted to study here. It wasn't because Jake was not smart enough to pass the entrance exams. It was rumored that no school would accept him after an incident at his previous school two years ago. Whatever that was, nobody knew.

I only had my eyes on Jake on the first week. A lot of girls were already into him and I didn't want to join his "fan club". When I entered senior year and became obsessed with junior hottie Ben Hidalgo, the memory of Jake in his fitted black shirt suddenly vanished into oblivion.

Until the night at the prom. And the few days after that.