Chapter 13

Been too long, friends! Here's a chapter for you :)

Chapter 13

“I’m still mad at you!”

I winced, putting my hand over my ear and glaring at Sydney who looked completely unapologetic at having deafened me.

“You should’ve told me you were in town,” she said, giving me a hurt look. “I had to find out from the tabloids, Grace. Do you know how embarrassing that is? You’re my best friend and I had to read on the internet that you were home.”

“I’m leaving tomorrow. I didn’t think I’d have any free time,” I shouted back, gritting my teeth as the loud music made my bones vibrate. It wasn’t even good music.

“You make time for your best friend, bitch,” Syd said, nudging me with her shoulder. “You okay?”

“Raina hates me,” I grumbled.

“Maybe you should tell her the truth.”

“It’s not that simple, Syd.”

She shrugged, taking a sip of her apple martini. “You’re making it complicated, Gray. It’s her family, too. She has a right to know.”

“I don’t want to put that burden on her,” I said, drinking my Pepsi like a good little girl, spotting Wes across the room, talking to some college guy who’d been clinging to Wes all night. The Frat guy, whose father worked in the music industry, had recognized Wes immediately and hadn’t left him alone since.

Wes looked like he was in pain as the college guy leaned closer, obviously thinking he was making some sort of business connection with Drummer Boy.

I snorted. Yeah right.

“Why is it okay for you to carry the burden, Gray? Why does it have to be you?” Syd continued, planting her hands on her hips to properly glare at me.

I sighed, putting my Pepsi down on the table next to us a little harder than necessary. “Because I was already miserable before I left to spend half a year with Daddy Dearest. It would be cruel of me to drag her down with me.”

“You seriously need to stop looking so pathetic,” Ian said, appearing out of nowhere to fling his arm over my shoulders. “I got you in here so you can use your fame to bring in some business. Now, wipe that depressing look of your face and smile at people.”

“No thank you. I’m off duty right now,” I said, rolling my eyes up at Ian.

He groaned. “Seriously, what’s it going to take to get you to―”

“Are you Grace Travis?” A girl in her early twenties asked cheerfully, cutting Ian off.

“That’s me,” I said, erasing any miserable or pathetic looks from my visage, suddenly back on the clock.

“Could I get a picture with you?”

“Sure thing!” I said, putting on a little more cheer than necessary, wishing I could go back to the days where it didn’t matter what I said to people who recognized me on the street.

She gripped my arm in her surprisingly strong hand considering she was probably about five foot nothing, pulling me away from Ian and towards her. I bent my knees so that her friend didn’t cut the top of my head off in the picture and planted the requisite smile on my face as the flash blinded me. She made her friend take two more before she was satisfied and I was just about to discreetly slip away when I realized she hadn’t let me go.

“I think you’re a really amazing vocalist,” she said, grinning up at me.

“You’re so sweet,” I said, one step away from patting her on the head.