Chapter 1 - Luna Island

"Syrena! You have gotten faster!" Marinel shouted towards me from a distance.

"I told you that you couldn't keep up with me," I poked my tongue out at her as I waited for her to dive back under water and swim towards me, her tail causing the water to ripple behind her and create tiny waves.

She had a huge smile on her face as she lifted her head above the water right in front of me.

"Don't rest yet, we need to hurry back to Luna before the others come looking for us," I nudged my head to the Island behind us that we called home.

For thousands of years, our kind had lived on an Island we had named Luna, after some Goddess that the humans believed in. It was a jungle, but we were never allowed on it, we lived in the sea. It was one of the benefits of being a mermaid, we could swim all day and explore the ocean. We didn't have disgusting legs like humans did that would shrivel up under water.

Ew.

Our island was a secret, untouched by them and for good reason!

See, hundreds of years ago, some of our kind became curious and careless. For whatever reason they let themselves be seen by humans, the ground people that had been sailing in our oceans. Word spread regarding the existence of my people and it didn't take long for them all to be hunted and captured.

I mean, what did the mermaids expect? For the sea people and ground people to get along and live in harmony? No, we were too different. The ground people were monsters, they were destructive and dangerous. It was a dark part of our history that terrified every one of us till this day.

We had two rules regarding our home and our life, never be seen by humans and never, ever, let anyone onto our home or near it. We wouldn't risk repeating the horrors that had occurred from happening again.

This was our place. The only place that we were safe.

The sun was just starting to rise by the time Marinel and I had reached tunnels that led to the underwater caves. We dived near the coral that we used to make jewelry out of as kids.

It was where Marinel and I had spent most of our lives as children, playing with the fish, collecting different shells and seaweed to braid into our hair.

I smiled at the fond memories and swam through the wide tunnel entry, just as the sun started to bounce off the golden scales of our tails and illuminate the way.

The tunnels were lit only by the rays of the sun that crept in, but it was easy to swim through.

We had no problem seeing our way, not that we really needed to. No matter what turn you took you'd end up at the same place, the rock pool that most of the mermaids our age would hang out in.