Chapter Four

12/2/16

12/2/16

WHEN CHASE SUGGESTED the idea of us pretending to be dating, there's one thing I didn't consider.

That would be the fact that his parents are cool enough that they are letting us share a room. Now, I don't mind sharing a bed with Chase it's the fact that he is a complete bed hog I'm having issues with. I've almost fallen off the bed three times and he keeps taking the covers, and not that Florida is anywhere as cold as Illinois but it's still chilly at night.

I attempt to grab some sheets from Chase's side, but he just rolls over and the bedding continues to wrap around him like a coil leaving very little to cover myself. With a loud sigh and roll of my eyes I turn to glance at my phone. The bright light of my screen fills the dark room making my eyes wince at the sudden change. My shoulders sag when I see it's almost three in the morning. A small groan slips from my lips as I press my hands into my heavy eyes. I'm beyond tired, but Chase is making it impossible to sleep even though it's all I crave.

I want to sleep and hope that the man from the bar is just a dream. That he isn't Chase's brother. That I don't have to see him repeatedly for the next month, and pretend nothing happened between us because he clearly doesn't remember me. It shouldn't hurt me when I treat men as disposable objects on the regular. But I felt something with that kiss, and in my head I blew it up thinking that if I ever saw him again he would grab me and kiss me. He would admit he felt the same spark, emotion, and heart stopping moment when his lips first pressed into mine.

Yeah, but that didn't happen.

I sit up and debate on punching Chase in the arm to wake him up and yell at him. Then I look around and debate on sleeping on the floor for the night. While neither sound like fun, something comes to mind and a small smile breaks out over my lightly freckled face.

Chase's house is beyond huge, and I bet there are a lot of random rooms to explore. So that's what I decide will be my adventure for the night. Instead of the sleep I so desperately want, I push away the exhaustion that fills my bones and let the idea of sneaking around this vast house replenish me with excitement. Exploring the mansion the Hasting family calls home, as if a tiny country couldn't fill the house.

I slip out of bed and let the oversized t-shirt I wear fall to my thighs and quickly slip on a pair of fuzzy slippers. I cast a quick glance over my shoulder to make sure I haven't woken Chase up, though I'm pretty sure he could sleep through an earthquake at this point, when my body pauses. I take in the man who has quickly become one of my best friends and confidant, and in this moment I take in how peaceful he looks.

He looks so young, like a boy not like the twenty-one year old man that he is. His hair is messy and sticking up in different directions as his long dark lashes rest upon his cheeks. Chase is undeniably beautiful, inside and out, and I wish he could see what I see on a daily basis. What his parents obviously see in him as well.