World 05

Coming Home

She had cried herself to sleep for the past 14 months. She still remembered the unfortunate day as if it was yesterday. He had gotten the letter in the mail and he was to leave first thing in the morning. She knew it was selfish to ask him to stay so she said nothing but farewell.

They had kept in touch via skype and email but it wasn't the same as having him by her side. She missed his scent, his touch, his laugh, him. A month after he left she realised she was pregnant. She wanted to tell him but she couldn't. When he finally noticed, it was the first time she had seen him cry. The man kills people as his job and he doesn't shed a tear but when he hears that his girlfriend is pregnant he bawls like a baby. He made a promise to her to come home safely.

That was the last time she had gotten news of him. It's been 3 months. Turns out he was in a coma after a landmine hit his tank. When he did come home she was huge. He had a few months off but left just after the baby was born. He promised her that he'd be back. Now she's alone again.

When he came home the second time their baby girl was 3 years old. He had retired from the army and started working an office job. One day when their five year old was put to bed, he pulled her into the kitchen to talk.

He was going back to the army, he wanted to help. He promised that he would make it out just like he always does. He told her that both of them won't be alone. He'd with Lane, Yuto, Maes, and the others. It meant it would be joining the special ops.

It's been a year since he left and 2 months since they last contacted each other. She's worried but she has confidence in him. Their little girl was 6 now and she misses her daddy. She has his hair and skin but her mother's eyes.

He was home and officially retired. He was finally going to propose. He has kept the ring for a long time around his neck as a good luck charm. He was planning to propose earlier but felt wrong to propose and leave. All of his army friends were cheering for them. He had been home for 2 months and spent most of the time in the hospital.

She almost had a panic attack when she heard that he was home but in the hospital. Making sure that someone was there to watch her little girl, she rushed to the hospital. She yelled at the receptionist to tell her what room he was in. the receptionist told her and she rushed away, not noticing the smile on the receptionist's face.

When she got to the room she noticed that nobody was there. She panicked. Had she gotten the wrong room? She noticed the flowers by the bed and walked over to them. It was rude but she didn't care, she wanted to know who had sent the flowers to her boyfriend.

There was a handwritten note directed to her. She read the note out loud and when she reached the final two words it wasn't her voice that spoke. It was his. Turn around was all he said and she cried.

She had almost forgotten how he sounded like. She turned only to see him in his uniform, slightly bandaged, and on one knee. He had asked her to marry him in a hospital room. It wasn't the proposal she had envisioned. It was better. She quickly said yes then even faster she tackled him into a hug and kiss.

Their little girl who was currently being watched by her uncle was sleeping peacefully and dreaming about her dad coming home. The next day, there was no adult with dry eyes when they watched the little girl run into her father's arm.