Wish You Weren't - Chapter Two - Disappearing Act

Chapter Two  |  Disappearing Act

A SLAP IN THE FACE WAKES ME UP IN THE MORNING. Aldrin isn’t strong enough to hit very hard, but still. I can’t wait to get home where I don’t have to share a bed with him. I shove his hand away from my face, careful not to touch his fingers because he’s lying there with one finger from his other hand up his nose and drool coming out his mouth. Why anybody thinks this is cute I’ll never understand.

Part of my brain hoped I would wake up to find he’d disappeared while we were sleeping. So much for Mom’s theory about wishing hard enough. If I’d wished any harder, I’d have hurt myself. Or Aldrin.

After breakfast we pile into the car to visit the Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History, an outing my mom says we’re sure to enjoy. As usual, her idea of fun is way different from mine. Beach? Fun. Museum? Not so much.

I think my mom just likes to go back and visit her old college friends that still work here. At least with Paul along it won’t be as boring.

The minute we pull into the parking lot, Dad’s cell phone starts ringing. He parks in the first open space and glances down at the phone number. Mom shoots him one of those looks she usually saves for me when I track mud in on the carpet. Glad I’m not the only one who earns those glares.

“I have to take this call,” he says. 

Mom looks over his shoulder at the number and the expression on her face changes. Her eyes light up. “Is that the job with the School of Architecture?”

Dad nods. “Now you understand?” He turns off the ignition and the car is instantly hot.

Paul and I open the back doors, hoping for a cool breeze. Instead, the heat and humidity smother us like a wet blanket. I wipe the sweat from my face and stifle a yawn. Staying up to watch the stars always leaves me way too tired.

“Let’s go inside boys, so your father can have some quiet.” She smiles at him. “Good luck, hon.” She leans over and gives him a kiss.

I slide my hand over Aldrin’s eyes. “You don’t need to see their disturbing behavior.”

Paul laughs and gets out of the car.

Aldrin shoves my hand away, then climbs over my legs to the open door.

“Why can’t you go out the other side? Paul’s already out! You had a clear path!”

“Your side’s more fun.” He steps on my foot and manages to knock a red rubber kick ball out the car door at the same time. It bounces on the grassy median, then rolls toward the street. My brother doesn’t hesitate. He follows the ball across the grass and down the curb before any of us even registers what is happening.

I take off after him, feeling the hot wind of cars rushing by. My parents are screaming at us, their footsteps not far behind. Brakes screech all around and I hear a few curse words thrown our direction.

Aldrin doesn’t seem to notice the chaos he’s causing. His eyes are just on the ball. He darts in front of an SUV right as it rounds the corner. The driver slams on his brakes. The front tires squeal and flatten Aldrin’s ball with a loud pop.

My brother stares at the deflated red rubber. Then he throws back his head and howls like he just lost his best friend.

I scoop the kid up under my arm. He dangles from my hip, arms and legs flailing as he screams at the top of his lungs.

“You know better than to go running into the street!” Mom comes up and wraps her arms around both of us.

“My ball!” cries Aldrin, punching my legs.