Chapter 3

AN: I added more to the end of this chapter so some of it will be the same as last time. If you've read it, just skip to the new part.

"Mother, I am not accusing them of anything! I simply find it strange how the wine that almost killed me came from their kingdom," I exclaimed, throwing my hands into the air for emphasis.

"Braelynn, how dare you accuse the people that saved your life of being the ones to try and kill you. The Buren family has been our ally for years, it is not possible that they would stage something like this," my mother said indifferently, like she was talking about the weather.

"But how did Ford know? It didn't look any different than normal wine, mother," I countered. She huffed.

"We have already been over this. Your father is interrogating the kitchen staff right this moment."

"But-"

"Enough! I have had it with this incessant arguing. Leave my presence before you cause a scene," Mother finally showed some outward annoyance. She shooed me away with a flick of her wrist.

I turned on my heel and walked away, pushing past the guards and returning inside the castle.

I didn't get very far before Ford found me in the hall.

"Braelynn, it's nice to see you up and well today," he said smoothly.

"It's nice to be up and well today, Ford," I answered with the same tone of voice.

"I was just sent to retrieve you. Your father has found the culprit of the poison. She just confessed. They are in the throne room right now."

Ford took my arm and we walked down the hall in silence.

"It's a shame, really. That your staff would turn on you," Ford commented, sounding smug.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"That your kitchen maid was the one to poison your drink," he explained as if I should have already known what was going on.

We arrived at the throne room to see a scene of chaos. My father was tense in his throne, face red, fingers clenched. A young woman was sobbing on the floor, being held up by her elbows.

"P-please please don't! I'll leave! I'll leave and never come back! Please don't k-kill me! My f-family! I have three children without a father. Please!" She pleaded, but my father wouldn't budge.

"Enough. I will not have this. Punishment will occur as planned. The children will be moved to an orphanage in the village. Take her away!" He bellowed.

I couldn't move.

This small, frail mother is the person that tried to kill me? What motive did she have? What would she have gained from removing me?

My father calmly strode towards me as the lady was dragged to her death. Her screams echoed throughout the hall.

"This lady came forward and confessed during her interrogation. She is your poisoner. Case closed." He said and brushed out of the room.

I still couldn't believe it. Ford tutted beside me and left the room after my father.

It didn't add up. She had no reason to poison me. I had never seen her before in my life. And her poor children; now without a mother or a father. They hadn't done anything to deserve that.

I tucked my hair behind my ears and walked out of the room. I need fresh air, I thought.

The gardens were busier than usual today. Lots of people were out and about. I guess more guards were ordered on duty from the "incident" as Mother was calling it now.