Chapter 9

We were sat outside the principles office on the most uncomfortable green chairs in the world. I shifted around in the seat until Scott shushed me and I stopped moving and tried to listen to the conversation the sheriff and Jackson were having.

"...you telling me that you knew that Isaac's father was hitting him?" Stilinski was saying, and I frowned. I didn't know that he had been hurting Isaac. For a second, I found that I was glad the man had died.

"Hitting him? He was kicking the crap out of him." Jackson replied.

"Did you ever say anything to anyone? A teacher, parents, anyone?"

"Nope. It's not my problem." Jackson said, and I rolled my eyes. For some reason I had thought he wasn't that bad. I was wrong.

"No, of course not. You know, it's funny that the kids getting beaten up are always the ones who least deserve it." Sheriff Stilinski replied, and I grinned.

"Yeah." Jackson replied, but then the thinly veiled insult registered. "Wait, what?"

"I think we're done here." The sheriff ended, and walked towards the door.
As he stepped outside of the principles office, Stiles scrambled with a magazine next to him, taking about 10 seconds to cover his face.

"Smooth." I murmured, and I saw Scott grin at me from the corner of my eye.
Stilinski rolled his eyes at his son, before turning towards us. "Hi Scott and..."

"Artemis." I replied with a polite smile. Scott just waved awkwardly.

"Boys, Artemis. Come on in." Someone said from the doorway and I looked up to see the principle. Except, it was someone new.

The same hunter that had cut that poor man in half the other night was here, and he was now the principle of Beacon Hills High School.

I leapt off my chair in shock and a bit of fear, and Scott had the same expression on his face.

The principle looked at me weirdly, and Stiles was looking at both Scott and I in confusion.

"Miss Lyall? Is everything alright?" He asked, and I nodded, clearing my throat.

"Yeah, sorry. Just a little jumpy."

I looked at Scott in alarm, but he was just as bewildered as I was.

---

"Scott McCall. Academically not the most accomplished, but I see you have become quite the star athlete. Artemis Lyall, just transferred to Beacon Hills. Where did you say you came from?" He asked, and I swallowed nervously.

"Uh, I was homeschooled by my aunt up in Idaho." I lied, hoping that I was practiced enough in this to deceive him. For a second it looked like he didn't believe me, but he nodded and moved on to Stiles.

"Mr. Stilinski. Oh, perfect grades but little to no extracurriculars. Maybe you should try Lacrosse."

"Oh, actually I'm already..." Stiles began but principle Argent cut him off mid sentence.

"Hold on. McCall. You're the Scott that was dating my granddaughter."

I looked between Stiles and Scott incredulously. Scott was dating a hunter? No wonder Stiles was complaining about their relationship drama this morning.
"We were dating but not anymore. Not dating, not seeing any of each other or doing anything with each other- at all." He stammered.

"Relax, Scott. You look like you're about to crack a cyanide pill with your teeth." Argent said and I almost would have laughed if it was someone else saying it.

"Just a hard breakup."

"Oh that's too bad, you seem like a pretty nice kid to me. Now listen guys. Yes, I am the principal, but I really don't want you to think of me as the enemy." Argent said.
I scoffed. "Is that so?" He frowned at me, and Stiles kicked me in the shins to get me to shut up before I said something stupid.

"However," He said, glossing over me. "I do need to support my teachers. So unfortunately someone is going to have to take the fall and stay behind for detention."

Scott and I both looked towards Stiles, and when he noticed he flung his hands up and hit them down on the arms of the chair with an exasperated sigh and glare.