CHAPTER ELEVEN

Four months later

Dale sat in the waiting room with the two children. Kyle lay back in his chair staring at the sealing listening to the ticking of the clock. They've been in and out, each time hoping she'd wake up now. To spare her a confusion, they want her first picture to be her family.

A female doctor came in and froze when she saw them. Dale jump up and walk to her with the children expecting news or something. Well, with a look like that from a doctor, you have to expect something.

"There's some...there's been a change in her. Her injuries has recover. But she's still not with us so that means that she might still be in danger. You can see her." The doctor smiled. Kayla and Kyle give each other a bright smile running after their father.

Dale rush down the corridor straight to her room. Kayla and Kyle stop midway to their parents. As a daughter, Kayla understands how eager their father is to see Kate alone.

"Let's give him some time with her. I think they deserve it." she smile at Kyle. He nod proudly at his sister and walk away with her.

Dale walk slowly up to Kate's bed with his heartbeat echoing in his ears. He look at the sleeping beauty scanning her sweet face that nearly looked as good as new again. He tries to remind himself she's just taking a long nap, but this doesn't look anything like her when she sleeps next to him.

He place his hand in hers and turn it to look at the drip. He look at her face again and bite his bottom. He's aware that he's alone with her since he didn't hear the children's loud footsteps.

He take a seat next to her in holding her hand tight in his. The doctor came in and give him a smile nodding his head to greet him. Dale does the same and look back at Kate.

"How long do you think she'll be like this?" Dale asked looking up at the doctor. He needs to know. The doctor won't have the perfect answer, but just to have an idea.

"We don't know. But if she's not making any progress we'll have to switch off the machines." The doctor replied. Dale give him an angry look. Such a suggestion overheats him. The thought of killing her drives him mad.

"There's no way that's going to happen." Dale disagree.

"Mister, would you like to be stuck like that forever? Plus, like we said, we're not sure if she will wake up." The doctor says. Dale look at Kate again seeing how hopeless she looks. But somehow he knows that there's a strong women lost in there. She has to wake up. She can't just leave them.

"Are you saying that she might be...dying?" Dale asked with tears in his eyes.

"That's correct." Came the reply.

Dale place her hand in front of his mouth starting to cry. He kiss her hand repeatedly. When his phone rang, it immediately got his attention.

"Hello?" he answer. His eyes widened. Good news? Probably. "Okay I'll be right there."

He hung up the phone and look at Kate. He stood up slowly and look at the doctor.

"Let me know if there's any news on her okay." He said and walk out.

Kayla and Kyle stood up looking at their dad that looked at them.

"Go to her. I'll come pick you up when I'm done." he says. The two give each other an odd look.

"Where are you going?" Kayla ask confused.

"I got an important call on the case. I'll be back." he said and walk out. Kyle and Kayla just nod and walk to their mother's room.
Their hearts break. Instead of spending time with their mother, they rather spend it with their grandparents. Could this have happened if they were rather home with her? It can kill you emotionally when you blame yourself for someone's situation. They can't loose their mother now. She's still young. They still need her.